ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Company

Mental 172 Cup
In a bid to make a bit of spare cash and improve my photography skills at the same time, I was looking into setting up a small photography company or even just selling a few of my photos.

Anyone on here done it, doing it and can give me advise on what to do?

Would be much appreciated

Thanks

Luke

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Most photographers are freelance, you can still have a normal 9-5 job aswell,
it's just that once a year you'll have to file a self assesment tax return for any freelance photography work you've done.

I've been freelance for years and had normal paye jobs for other people aswell.

Mental 172 Cup
How do you go about sorting that out though?

Like to be legit etc. do they sting you for tax?

Unless you're making mental money, so thousands, I wouldn't bother doing anything.

If you sell a few prints, then just put that money towards beer.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Like Revels said if you're only doing a few jobs a year I wouldn't bother as they'll never find out,
the only reason to go freelance is if you have overheads like studio premesis then you can offset the costs against any proffit.

Also you have to clear about £6k proffit before they start asking for tax on earnings.

If you're determined to go freelance then the HMRC website has all the relevant info and phone numbers.

Although for the headaches of sorting it all out, i'd just do it on the side for the time being untill your
earning a decent amout from it.

Imo there's no point in going freelance untill you're actually working on freelance commissions.

Last edited:
  Cayman S Edition 1
Just looking at doing the same thing myself as a sideline. Need a few months to build up a decent portfolio, but my first site is now up. Exciting times!