ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

phase1 172 track car

e91 330d/type r mini
right thought i would start a project thread as i have done a bit to the clio now :).#

i bought the car back in september as a non runner and a rear end bump :(
the car got delivered to me at 10.30 in the evening so just put it on the drive until the next day. the person on ebay said it had run out of petrol but would not start once they put some fuel in.

next day i went to investigate the issue, no ecu in the car what so ever, so contacted the seller and amazingly he knew nothing about it it had been at his brothers so he said he would contact him and get back to me.
needles to say no call and not answering the phone.. c**k

so the first job was to source an ecu which mr paul murray(rs tuning) gave me and unlocked it for me.
the car would still not start so once again mr murray came round with his testers only to find a corroded live wire to the ecu hence no power.
10 minutes later she came to life and sounded great :)

how she arrived.

Photo147.jpg

Photo148.jpg

i hen set about fixing the back end bump which needed a new tailgate and a bumper which i sourced in the same colour to save time on painting :)

once trying to fit the bumper we realised the back panel was pushed a fair way in so out came the chains :)
we tied i to the elegraph pole a the bottom of my drive and gave her a little tug to make things fit nicely.

refitted the bumper and tailgate and looks fine for now maybe a few tweaks needed on the bumper but can live with it for now,
i also fitted a set of phase 2 rear lights a the same time.

Photo0334.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
next on my list was to strip it out and fit my steering wheel and find some bucke seats as we had a rackday at elvinton booked (nice and close o home just in case as you never know with a new car)

Photo0332.jpg

Photo0331.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
i then fitted some carbon lorraine pads and flushed he brake fluid for all new as i didnt know how old the brake fluid was that was in there.

the car managed 150 miles on track at elvington and didnt miss a beat so i was pretty impressed wih the old girl.

i then purchased some eibach sportlines to lower the car a bit but acually seemed to make no difference whatso ever, however the car did drive and handle much better :)

after that i hen bought a nice new set of r888s o fit to the oz f1s so i now needed another set of rims to run on the rd with so bought a set of 17" prima racing alloys and had them powder coated in black.

Photo0333.jpg

Photo0328.jpg

Photo0338.jpg

as you can see i also put some decals on to make it look a bit more like a track car (not to everyones taste i know)

e91 330d/type r mini
whilst keeping myself busy i fiited the aerocatch bonnet pins,
i know im bad for cutting up an original alloy bonney but nevr mind needs must :)

Photo0327.jpg

Photo0326.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
after all this we booked cadwell park and the car was going really well then unfortunately coming onto the back straight the clutch decided to explode,
i wasnt even in the car it was a friend driving so he was getting the job of putting the new clutch in ha ha unlucky.
few pics of the day.

CLIO9.jpg

CLIO4.jpg

my friends 172 with mine (his bought off of here might i add :))

CLIO8.jpg

CLIO5.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
after the clutch had gone the car sat on my drive for around 3/3 months as it was christmas and i was getting married in january so money was tight and things were a bit hectic :(
i eventually bought a clutch and delivered the car to the said clutch breaker who incidentely teaches problem children mechanics.
so out came the engine and new clutch wen in and a good check on he timing belt to be sure as the car came wih no history.
all was good and back in wen the engine :)

in the meantime a unused cup racer cage came up on ebay which i bough 2 days before the wedding (wife to be wasnt to happy lol)
i went and picked the cage up and at his poin i realised how much work i had let myself in for :(

e91 330d/type r mini
i also forgot to mention that whilst he engine was out i had a deca fitted and a blue flame full system fited, i then whipped off the inlets and did a bit of DIY maching which turned out to be better than expected as i then got the car dynod at rs tuning with the 3 month old fuel in and it made a healthy
172.8 bhp

Copyofdownload.jpg

Copy2ofdownload.jpg

i was really pleased with the figure and it definately fel livelier mid range:)

e91 330d/type r mini
after a week of driving it round i thought enough putting off he inevitable and set about the cage :(

first off was to remove the dashboard and some of he un needed wires.
that was a job in its self, he wires for he boot were all removed and the wires for he back lights were tucked into the sill hrough grommets then run in the rear quarters to the back leaving no wires on show at all :)

e91 330d/type r mini
Good work.

I think it could still do with going a little lower but if it handles ok then fair enough.
i agree mate it will be going on coilovers once a few other things are done, sportlines were just a temporary measure tbh even though i really cannot fault them.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Ah ha so that's where the cage went! I was also after it thought no one would notice it on eBay and get it for nowt lol
I bet it's a right job to fit it though.
Cheers

e91 330d/type r mini
Ah ha so that's where the cage went! I was also after it thought no one would notice it on eBay and get it for nowt lol
I bet it's a right job to fit it though.
Cheers
lol you have no idea how awkward it was :(
i paid strong money for the cage but worth it now its in and done,
rest of the pics will be up shortly of it all fitted and done :)

e91 330d/type r mini
right i have he rest of the pics downloaded :)

next on the list was to remove all the ar and clean off all of the remainder of he glue, at the same time i removeved the seat crossbars that are spot welded to the floor and various unused brackets throughout the car

7a18a277.jpg

45e235a8.jpg

we then set about trial fitting the cage and cutting the spreader plates to size then drilling the floorand bolting down.

6fbf9721.jpg

8eccebb9.jpg

1751461f.jpg

a9309ccc.jpg

at the same time i had to rial fit the dash as it had to go around the front crossbar of the cage,i ended up having to cut the dash mounting bracket into 3 pieces and grinding bits off here and there o make it fit.

no dash :(

e2ad4704.jpg

then the messing around

5b8ce365.jpg

42f62f9c.jpg

3db2b721.jpg

5ed906aa.jpg

once that was all done the car was shipped to SPRAYFIX in leeds for them to weld he plates.
he tacked the plates then we removed the cage so he could get all the way round the plates properly :)

try removing a cup cage its like a fookin jigsaw the windscreen got broke and the roof got dented in a couple of places.

bf43cbff.jpg

1d8cf0ba.jpg

e08c7a67.jpg

f92753f5.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
next was to prep the cage as it was brand new and had been coated in oik to stop it going rusty (just what you dont need when you want to have it sprayed :( )
so i set about it all with degreaser and scotchbrite and got it gleaming :)
so then i primed here up and it actually felt like i was getting somewhere eventually :)
in the meantime id dropped my bottom half of the dash off at yukspeed for them to flock for me along with the steering cowling.

6ec4429d.jpg

ab0a019a.jpg

9f2cf1a5.jpg

54ce35ba.jpg

b2d54f0e.jpg

then the best bit is having it in painted :)

52af6055.jpg

46b0a5ec.jpg

74c745f4.jpg

2f7b6b12.jpg

01c31806.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmm shiney paint :D:D:D

e91 330d/type r mini
after the cage had dried i wrapped it up in bubble wrap and stored it well out the way and got started with preparing the inside for paint.
had to put some filler where id drilled a bit far on some of the spot welds, also i prepared it for the seam sealer ( its great stuff and hides a multitude of sins ie the creases in the boot floor)

f985e0a3.jpg

1a0c338b.jpg

53ba5852.jpg

a48c9415.jpg

9cc2cf7a.jpg

then after the seem sealer :)

c16a249a.jpg

e77b9d23.jpg

b53c59b3.jpg

16f9eb72.jpg

d4b69e23.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
then we got it all masked up for paint and cleaned it and degreased it for about the 10th time lol

afdda0ee.jpg

b78391fe.jpg

38f95be9.jpg

a90b1d19.jpg

then the paint went on :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9ca43f88.jpg

3d54bbb9.jpg

7134b3a0.jpg

1cd0926c.jpg

1f4d1688.jpg

1d2c3467.jpg

f9840830.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
next day after the paint had dried we dug the cage out and started fitting it:(
what a frickin job that was 3 of us lifitng it in and still managed to scratch it in a few places (nothing a litle local cannot sort)
after that i put in the new lightweight oddysey battery (thanks burp :))
and put in the cable along with the cutoff switch.

6b61e8ba.jpg

8262b84b.jpg

1c2a2bd1.jpg

3a310934.jpg

1c71af0a.jpg

794f288a.jpg

d593de3c.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
then came he job of refitting the dash bottom, time to see if all my measuring and cutting and grinding has worked (fingrers crossed )

a675d358.jpg

11a8bc56.jpg

7676784a.jpg

IT FITTED YEY :D:D:D:D

then i set about fitting the seats and harnesess

82326d61.jpg

0b5b93ba.jpg

and then the hard bit fitting the dash top to go round the cage,
i seriously hought it was going to snap when we were bending it, rowan at SPRAYFIX did the measuring and cutting to perfection as i was just sure i was going to do it wrong lol
she is back together and seemed like one hell of a long road but i think it has been worth it :)

f9ed650d.jpg

13d41700.jpg

38ca3dba.jpg

6b53d0e7.jpg

55286df5.jpg

1f84383e.jpg

677ad6b1.jpg

alldone1-1.jpg

allldone4.jpg

sorry if i have bored you all with my thread but never done one before so thought id give it a litle go
compliments and critisism welcome :)

e91 330d/type r mini
also since he pics i have made some new fron and rear door card and have fitted a set of white pro race 1s, braided brake lines were also fitted today and tomorrow the camber correction bolts will be fitted.
update will follow tomorrow with pics :)

e91 330d/type r mini
managed to get a few pics of the front door cards that i made,
i made the out of 3mm mdf and covered them with some suede material i had.
also had to make some spacers for the handles as hey dont sit flush without them.

8398b534.jpg

c4c3ecfa.jpg

14d7cc74.jpg

i also got the pro race 1s fitted, they do have the wrong size tyre on but that will be changed for my slicks then these will be used for trackdays only :)

7167f62d.jpg

b3e77d1f.jpg

614c61ec.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
a little update i have had the braided brake lines fitted and new fluid flushed through again just to be sure

CopyofIMG_0317.jpg

CopyofIMG_0318.jpg

CopyofIMG_0319.jpg

pedal definately fulls a bit more solid now, the old rubber flexis must of been a bit tired and past there sell buy date :)