ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

phase adjuster of the inlet camshaft

there are 2 oil feeds to the phase adjuster from the final (closest to the phase shifter) cam bearing. If oil pressur eis allowed through one feed, then the shifter turns one way, if oil pressure is allowed via the second feed, it turns the other way. It is either on or off - one way or the other. there is no varition available.

control of the oil flow is via a solenoid plunger in the head (you can see it if you remove the plastic cover over the engine - it is next to no. 4 plug .

this is activated by applying 12 volts to it.

In normal use the cam is de-phased at idle, as soon as you accelerate 12volts is applied to the solenoid lifting the plunger and opening the second oil feed (also closing the first), the cam is then phased.

the phase shifter operates from 1200 rpm, the only time dephasing occurs is on the overun or extremely light throttle, it would appear to be purely an emissions / economy device only.

Hope that helps you Sir.

Joe.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V

Hello Captain!

By the way, do you think there is a chance to apply this system to a K4M-engine (1,6 16V) ? I think to mount the phaser itself is not the problem, but from were get the oil and how bring it to the phaser?

Would be a solution against power loss at low rpm when using very sporty camshaft, like from Schrick.

regards

Oliver

Unfortunatel it is virtually impossible to do so as the oil ways and valve need to be in place.

it WOULD be a partial solution to hairy cam profiles though, just no way to fit it....

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V

:( this I was already thinking of....but I will check the system of a ordinary 2,0 16V with 138hp from a Laguna, these engine are also equipped with a phaser....

regards

Oliver

the difficulty is that the cam is hollow and has a feed compartment at the phaser end too. so you would need the appropriate cam, oil feed etc etc.

the laguna system is exactly the same (Same F4R base engine as used in the 172 afaik)

I have a supply on 2 litre units (new) but non vvt if you want one.. also, a complete 172 engine (7000 miles) - with vvt lol.

Joe.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V

So I have to check the new K4M engine of the new Mégane (that is already presentedin France). It has now 115hp and perhaps also a vvt and I might copy it...

The vvt-unit itself is not so expensive about 110,-Euro in Germany.

Thank you for offering me a 2,0l engine, but ist was enough work to install the K4M in my Clio Mk1....