ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 - Track focused

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I thought it was about time I started a thread to keep a running update of the cars progress. I bought the car 100% standard about 2 months ago and although a track car doesn't need to be neccessarily in mint condition, this one was :) In fact the car has only done 29K miles.

I'm no David Bailey sadly, but I have a couple of photo's of it in pretty standard form, from the outside anyway...

Clio-M6023.jpg

Clio-M6007.jpg

The starting point for me was the interior. I've owned a 182 before and being pretty tall, the driving position really is dire, so buckets and a bit of a tidy up inside was my first modification. Sourced some superb seats from Sir_Dave and some great 3" harnesses, the rest (Subframes and mounts) were bought new.

IMG_0321.jpg

carbon.jpg

Dirving position is now spot on, although the wheel was a little too far away. This weekend I fitted an OMP Corsica wheel which has a nice dish that has brought the wheel at least 50mm closer to me, which has improved things amazingly.

I met up with some members at a meet a few weeks ago and was fortunate enough to have a ride with Tom@JMS. His 182 is set up perfectly for road/track and I was completely sold on the AST's. A few pennies later and the car is off to JMS this Saturday for a full coilover setup...

AST Sportline 1 - Track setup
AST Solid Top Mounts
FK Hubcentric spacers (20mm Front each side)
5mm Spacers on rear each side

I have also ordered some Toyo R1R's which seemed a good choice over winter for a few track days and road driving.

Oh and I have the default Clio brake setup ready to go on too - Brembo HC Discs, DS2500 pads, braided lines and dot 4 fluid.

Can't wait to get the car back now! Will update with more photo's and a review of the setup once the cars back. :)

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Nice, I'll have to keep an eye on this

Are you stripping it down completely or is it more track-focused but still comfortable on the road?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Good question...

It doesn't have to be comfortable on the road, but it does have to be easily drivable on the road. :)

The plan is to have it fully stripped out with welded cage at some point next year.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Are the seats not a pita with peripheral vision? Checking blind spot etc?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Are the seats not a pita with peripheral vision? Checking blind spot etc?

A little, yes. You learn to get used to it though. Certain junctions at certain angles mean you have to slacken off the harness so you can lean forward, but it's not a huge deal. Hardest thing to get used to was changing lanes on the motorway, usually I take a little look over my shoulder but it's not easy with these seats, despite the holes in the wings. If you are constantly aware of your surroundings with frequent mirror checks it's not really a problem.