ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 standard gearbox to Cup 129?

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi all, need to take the box off my Ph1 and have been told the 129 box off the cup is a good upgrade?
Can anyone provide some info on this ref gearing and acceleration differences please?
Any experience in this having changed?

Many thanks in advance

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Daily driving i noticed almost zero difference except at motorway speeds. I did however notice a difference when using the car on track

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I noticed a decent difference as well on track. Mainly between two corners at knockhill. I used to be able to just avoid the limiter in 3rd, but I'm now well into 4th along that section. I fitted a lightweight flywheel at the same time though which will have added to the effect. Ratios on the FD are 3.867 on the JC5-089 ph1 box and 4.067 on the JC5-129 cup box, or, roughly just under 200rpm difference at 70mph in 5th.

It's probably not enough to bother about unless you're removing the box for another reason IMO (refurb, clutch change etc). If you're doing other work that needs the box out though and can source a cup box then I'd go for it!

172, BMW 650i & X5
Yep, box coming out as have a clutch/box problem anyhow.
Had to replace engine earlier in year (161000 miles) so gearbox could probably do with being freshened up also.
Going well though for a very tired chassis.
Appreciate feed back lads

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yep, box coming out as have a clutch/box problem anyhow.
Had to replace engine earlier in year (161000 miles) so gearbox could probably do with being freshened up also.
Going well though for a very tired chassis.
Appreciate feed back lads
I've got a 129 box that I'll be refurbing and selling shortly if you're interested mate. Pm me if you are. This was my original gearbox, so I know the history of it and what it needs.