ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 or ph2 hmmmm

PH2 172
After selling my Clio 172 cup back in november all iv done since is winge and moan that i miss the power the buzz and the overall fun i had whilst owning it. Now iv decided to get myself another 172 but have a budget of £1700 and under. Now i cant decide weather to have a change and get myself a ph1 172. but i cant make my mind up iv found a really tidy looking ph1 in silver very very close to me on 103k with a full service history at a good price. but still unsure what to do. whats your thoughts on going for a ph1 instead this time is there much difference? Cheers

PH2 172
To be honest i dont want an expensive car so dont want to spend loads as im going to be eventually saving for a house. so ph1 would be spot on i love the look of them especially the front ends when sat on coilovers looks pukka. if i got a ph2 id want ph1 wheels anyway. it would only be used as my daily whilst doing a few nice subtle tuning mods to it without spending mega bucks wont be used for many or maybe any track days. not sure if the 103k is alot though car does look very very tidy i must admit.

120d M Sport
I'm in the same boat, will have the same budget and after a PH1. Link me to the one you're on about ;) 103k sounds fine to me, if it's had good servicing it'll be sweet!

PH2 172
Haha ;) il keep it for me to get haha. yea im going to see it tomorrow it says full service history but dosnt say how many owners. im going to check this all out but the car in the pictures and theres 9 of them looks really tidy paintowork looks amazing and interior also. and its a 2001 51 plate ph1. and its completely standard also not a single mod.

Haha ;) il keep it for me to get haha. yea im going to see it tomorrow it says full service history but dosnt say how many owners. im going to check this all out but the car in the pictures and theres 9 of them looks really tidy paintowork looks amazing and interior also. and its a 2001 51 plate ph1. and its completely standard also not a single mod.
Sounds really tidy mate and I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much as long as it has decent service history and everything has been done thats required :). Good luck with the viewing and hope you get sorted!

PH2 172
Cheers dude yea il check make sure service history is full dosnt have loads owners and all the belts etc have been done. buzzing to get back into another clio now :)

PH2 172
Yep your right this will be my 4th cliosport i keep buying them wasting loads money :S (missus hates that part) then thinking i can find something better selling it then i relise once iv sold the clio iv made the mistake yet again and always end up buying another. cant be a bad thing though. :)

PH2 172
I know its defo a bug. well iv told the missus this is the last time ;), its one of them cars thats cheap easy to do stuff to quick and just keeps ya smiling thats what love bout them.

Phase 1 ftw! with change to spare too! I had 1750 and chose a phase one based on looks. Not done me wrong yet! Although i feel I did overpay slightly!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yep your right this will be my 4th cliosport i keep buying them wasting loads money :S (missus hates that part) then thinking i can find something better selling it then i relise once iv sold the clio iv made the mistake yet again and always end up buying another. cant be a bad thing though. :)

I know its defo a bug. well iv told the missus this is the last time ;), its one of them cars thats cheap easy to do stuff to quick and just keeps ya smiling thats what love bout them.

Are you me with a different name?! Exactly the same, even down to this one being the 4th time I've owned one!

PH2 172
Are you me with a different name?! Exactly the same, even down to this one being the 4th time I've owned one!

Haha nope im someone different. finding it hard to make kind up. i cant see ph1 bein much different than a cup yo drive. il be puttin the ph1 on coilovers and changing a few bits anyway.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a ph2 182 and now a ph1 172 no difference at all really. Got to love the cheapness of the ph1.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If you can live without the creature comforts, the PH1 will suit you nicely.

A word of the wise though, invest in a glove for your gear hand ;)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
And i take it you love the ph1. wen u say the cheapness do ya mean just how cheap it is to buy?

Yeah I love it just as much as my 182 the only thing I miss is the colour lol.

And yeah I mean the cheap to buy as you are pretty much buying the exact same car.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ph1.

Far more fun to drive and cheap if you bin it.

I really want a track Ph1 or Cup instead of mine.

PH2 172
Cheers for all these good comments. im not fussed about the comfort like said cup never had it and i think its pointless in such a fun car. only thing id miss is the colour. i have rang up the ph1 i have found has 3 former owners fsh cambelt and all belts have been done a folder full of reciepts very tidy well looked after car. im going to view it later on there also put a fresh 12 month mot on it and a full service :)

PH2 172
And this is the car im going to view. dont look at the price its bene lowered since :)

renault-clio-hatchback-1903893191-640x480.jpg
renault-clio-hatchback-1903893167-640x480.jpg
renault-clio-hatchback-1903893160-640x480.jpg

PH2 172
well went and looked at the ph1 today.................. bit of a dog inside smelt like a dirty old garage and oily engine bay was minging. had few dings here and there nice dent on passenger b piller wheels were in need of a serious refurb needed 4 new tyres as all were crakced and perished 1 rear shock was gone front coil sounded like was snapped and didnt have 103k like advert said had 114k. what a bummer the hunt begins again.

I prefer PH2, but you may be able to get some more value for money if you go for a PH1 and like them.

EDIT: Oh and good luck with the hunt, don't rush in! Spend the maximum you can afford if you see a good one :).

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Makes mine seem good value if I was ever going to sell up. Good luck with the search mate.