ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172 or 172 Cup and why....?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
as above, if you had the choice between a mint ph1 or a mint 172 cup which would you buy, assuming they cost the same, and why?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Probably be the ph1 tbh.

Why? Just because I prefer the front end and I miss my last one lol.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
im getting itchy feet again, i like cups, love the colour, the wheels, the rawness, its newer, and i owned a cup new back in 2003 and loved it. basically i think i fancy a change, yeah i know its pretty much the same car, same engine, but i just find myself thinking the ph1 is looking really dated now, and iv seen a really nice cup for sale.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Having had two Phase 1's and now a Cup i'd still say Phase 1.

Cup looks pretty and probably weighs less but the phase 1 is the better drive, the throttle cable and 15" wheels make it brilliant to drive.

I'll have another Phase 1 but i'll be keeping the Cup aswell!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yeah, thats the thing it was years ago when i last drove a cup so maybe my mind is playing tricks, ill be in a position to change in march and dont really think keeping the ph1 is an option the wife would kill me and it would never get used if it was a second car. spent the last couple of days looking at cups ffs!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Ph1 just because I've been sitting in a Ph2 RS Clio for the past 7 years.

197 RB
I'd go for whichever is in best condition as stated above. Had a Cup in the past and loved it. Wish I'd not sold it but I do have an urge for a Ph1 after spending too long looking at Ph1 owners bumming them on CS :clap:

RB 182 195bhp
Stick with what you've got, better the devil you know, plus there isn't really any real difference, both the same weight and power, no point in the hassle and cost of changing because of boredom.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
im getting itchy feet again, i like cups, love the colour, the wheels, the rawness, its newer, and i owned a cup new back in 2003 and loved it. basically i think i fancy a change, yeah i know its pretty much the same car, same engine, but i just find myself thinking the ph1 is looking really dated now, and iv seen a really nice cup for sale.
:nono: :mad:

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've had my Ph1 four and a half years and still really enjoy driving it. It still looks nice and everything works properly. Just had the Aircon serviced. Getting the wheels reconditioned in a couple of weeks.
Even after 20 trackdays and 132,000 miles its still reliable and goes like a bat out of hell!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
hmm, comes down to interiors for me. Couldn't live with a ph1 dash, hate Cup seats. If a Sunflower or an Exclusive came my way at the right time I'd have that, otherwise, Cup with better seats

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depend what its for, as a daily the leather and aircon is quite nice.

Ph2 172 non cup is the best option in may ways I think, but for some reason you excluded that?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
A cup because they look so much better, The only good thing about a PH1 is that the front end looks sweet

Last edited:
  clio 172 cup
I've got cup my mate has ph1, the only thing that puts me off ph1 is interior. but think I'd still go for the cup as imo better looking car

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
lol dave, yes another scoob would be great, but it would ruin me, again. its purely down to looks, i much prefer the look of the cup tbh, nearly bought one before i bought this ph1 but at the time they were a bit more expensive and more than i wanted to spend, but i have seen a really nice one for sale, and i reckon i could get it for circa £2400, stick the konis and ktec i/k on it and enjoy. ph1 are getting a bit of a cult following on here now though. doesnt help i keep seeing a really nice cup driving up my street all the time, looks great.

172 cup, Impreza P1
172 Cup - No abs, lighter, looks better, more castor, no aircon, turinis as std faster and wider track.

Ph1 - front looks good.

I'd defo go with the cup especially for track use and i used a cup on the road for 8 years so know they are good at everything except snow!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
think so mate. went out at lunch to get my gym stuff out the ph1 and walking up to the rear of it made me sad. back end looks sh*t imo, front end is much better, i love the cups, think they look great, plus i just get bored of cars after a while, i at least want something nice to look at. depends if i can sell the ph1 at the price i want to make it happen

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Phase 1.
V
172 cup.

Phase 1 OEM +

with cup spoiler & PH2 bumper is where its at.

steve

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
been offered an iceberg cup spoiler, not sure if he still has the rear ph2 bumper. hmmmm......