ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH 1 172 OR TROPHY?

LY V6 with Recaros
Trophy...I think. The ph1 in flame red is lush though. But the Trophy is newer and had Recaros!

Golf GTI PP Mk7
suprised no1's mentioned the obvious yet...

..RECAROS.

i'll take the trophy thanks.

seats are amazing, but I tend to make a decision on a car based on a few other things instead tbh lol.

me too, but we're comparing it to the ph1, which is essentially the same car, with naffer suspension, ph-ugly interior, and theyre older, making it harder to find unabused, low milage mint examples.

seats are amazing, but I tend to make a decision on a car based on a few other things instead tbh lol.

me too, but we're comparing it to the ph1, which is essentially the same car, with naffer suspension, ph-ugly interior, and theyre older, making it harder to find unabused, low milage mint examples.

true, but it's also lighter, with better steering feedback and less than half the price. As a package the Trophy is much better, but the things I cant get on with are colour (red, I mean come on!) and if anything like a Ph2 172 then the steering feel... even the Mk2 Ph1 is shite when compared like for like with a Williams. Given a choice I'd take a Trophy over a Ph1 though, but spend a bit more on weighting the steering up and respray it to a less girly colour

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
lol.....in the end this thread is boarderline pointless, its personal preference for everyone, its good to have others views but its down to you at the end of the day

Golf GTI PP Mk7

true, but it's also lighter, with better steering feedback and less than half the price. As a package the Trophy is much better, but the things I cant get on with are colour (red, I mean come on!) and if anything like a Ph2 172 then the steering feel... even the Mk2 Ph1 is s**te when compared like for like with a Williams. Given a choice I'd take a Trophy over a Ph1 though, but spend a bit more on weighting the steering up and respray it to a less girly colour

good point, lol.

thakfully ive just chopped the 172 cup in for a williams and your right, the steering is so much better, i can actually feel the wight of the car, feels far moer confident through corners.

R26r R26
lol.....in the end this thread is boarderline pointless, its personal preference for everyone, its good to have others views but its down to you at the end of the day
I know at the end of the day its down to me.I personally prefer the ph1 but I was interested in peoples opinions who may have driven both as my ph1 is 7 years old now and I would like to get something newer.Maybe the solution would be to stick a set of Trophy seats in the ph1 but the sh*t blue /grey interior doesnt really compliment them.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
could the steering feel on the ph1 be down to the smaller wheels tho? thats the only diference in the setup isnt it?

MR2 Turbo
what were themain differences in the phases then>

what changed?

I have the money for a trophy but would prefer to spend less on a ph1 can cancle out a bit of the mortgage....

Ph1 172
this thread comes up time and time again!

My choice would be phase 1 in racing blue with some recaros

182BG
i think you can get them in other colours, but not with the trophy. There are loads of good alternatives to recaros

Renault Clio 172
Personally i'd go 172! Why spend all that extra money with the trophy! Same with the 182! I own a ph2 172 and driven a 182. Didn't feel any quicker than mine! why spent all that extra money for pretty much the same car! I am with everyone when it comes to those trophy seats tho ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i wasen't having a dig earlier mate, fair play for asking about things before you purchase.

am glad people are saying about the phase 1 being better handling than the phase 2, but to be honest that is even shocking compared to my valver...(sorry zippy that don't help you either lol)

oh yeah well said on the CTR.....

R26r R26
i wasen't having a dig earlier mate, fair play for asking about things before you purchase.

am glad people are saying about the phase 1 being better handling than the phase 2, but to be honest that is even shocking compared to my valver...(sorry zippy that don't help you either lol)

oh yeah well said on the CTR.....
No worries mate I know you wasnt.:) .You was just giving your opinion which is what a forum is for.I rhink what has happened is I never used to like the newer shape but it it growing on me more and more.:S

182 Trophy & Megabusa
why are people slagging off the trophy being red?

its an immense colour and is gorgeous especially when clean in the sun.

you lot are blind!

Golf R
sorry phase 1 guys, it just looks wrong.

STA70860.jpg

it might look wrong but it definitely drives right. you'd be amazed just how much fun it is. And thats coming from someone who's had 2 Trophy's and also regularly drives a 182 as well

why are people slagging off the trophy being red?

its an immense colour and is gorgeous especially when clean in the sun.

you lot are blind!

it's just a basic non metalic colour that's notoriously the worst possible colour to own a car in... unless it's a Ferrari... which it isn't. great car, but piss poor cheap paint option imo

R26r R26
I have decided that I am keeping the Ph1.I have been out this evening for a couple of hours and I cant stop smiling.:D .Going to see Mark Fish at the end of the month for a bit more work.Then I am going to do something with the interior,maybe strip it out and fit some decent front seats as OEM ones feel like I am sitting on a marshmallow.

R26r R26
I really cleared the cars lungs out tonight.Still laughing to myself about this bloke I owned in his Beemer. He was really trying bless him ;)