ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pending suspension refresh, any pointers?

182 FF, A6 Avant
I've finally got all the parts together for my suspension refresh on the 182.

New dampers
New ball joints
New TREs
Powerflex wishbone and ARB bushes
Powerflex dogbone

I had new OEM top mounts last year so will reuse those.

Rear dampers seem nice and easy. Is there a top mount type assembly on it though?

For the front, I'm going to build up some spare wishbones first to speed up the work. But I'm curious to hear if anyone has any tips/tricks/advice for doing the work to make it easier? Change dampers then the wishbones? All at once? Doesn't really matter?

Curious to hear tips on fitting the dogbone too.

Cheers.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
I'd have inner tie rods and possibly rack bushes added to that list depending on miles. Doing anything with the ARB then have both front wheels off the ground as it will be fighting against you if not. Your better having an impact gun for undoing top mounts and track rod ends and other than that crack on.

You could go on all day about the best/preferred way to do things, you have to learn somewhere and if you have the slightest mechanical brain you'll come to recognise better ways to do things.

P.s Id be wary of making up wishbones prior to removing the old as I would like to have the subframe to work out the correct spacing even though the bush housings have a step to aid fitment, stick a couple of tacks on them too if you can IMO.

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy 463
^^ Sound advice. Also be careful with your abs sensors as they probably wont come out of your hub without breaking them and they are about £60 quid each. Easy enough to work round but keep and eye on them. Don't really matter what order you do it in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH my first pointer would be sack off the powerflex bushes and just get new renault arms.

The powerflex ones just simply arent as durable and handle no better than new renault ones.

doesnt really matter on the order you do it, just whatever feels easiest to you to take off really, obviously get it all tracked after but you know that.

Clio Trophy 463
TBH my first pointer would be sack off the powerflex bushes and just get new renault arms.

The powerflex ones just simply arent as durable and handle no better than new renault ones.

I agree with this but the poor guy has already bought them! Lol. I shore tested the renault arb bushes and wishbone bushes on new arms and they are about 60 shore. Quite hard for oe when you consider powerflex purple stuff is about 75, and if you look at the design of the renault bush there is hardly any movement in the bushes at all given the insert is so wide there is about only 3mm of rubber anyway. Lol. Not much room for flex.

182 FF, A6 Avant
I agree with this but the poor guy has already bought them! Lol. I shore tested the renault arb bushes and wishbone bushes on new arms and they are about 60 shore. Quite hard for oe when you consider powerflex purple stuff is about 75, and if you look at the design of the renault bush there is hardly any movement in the bushes at all given the insert is so wide there is about only 3mm of rubber anyway. Lol. Not much room for flex.

Appreciate the comments guys. They've been bought now and I'm keen to see how they are for myself. These are the newer black ones if that makes a difference?

re the abs sensors, can stuff be changed without removing them from the hub?

Anyone near Reading with an impact gun?

Cup In bits
You can unclip the abs sensors from just inside the inner arches if you chase the wires back.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Will keep that in mind. Just found HSS will hire an impact gun so will get one of those too.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Fred that's them apart for me about 6-7 months ago, will they have locked up that much since then?!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's not a case of locking up, its that the shaft turns. Possible with a swan neck spanner and hold the centre still but likely to round the centre (small spanner or Allen key depending on the shock)

if you do it up at 9am you would still want a gun to undo it at 9:01 it just makes it so much easier.

182 FF, A6 Avant
I remember it being a pita when he did them. Impact wrench it is! Was looking to buy one but for a good one its just not worth it.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
If its primarily a road car i'd seriously reconsider swapping the powerflex bushes for oem. You will fear drains and pot holes lol, infact any imperfection in the road.

182 FF, A6 Avant
It gets used for commuting some days but its only going one way and that's towards a pretty much dedicated fun/track car. Worst case I swap them for new oem arms and sell them on ;)