ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger drive shaft question

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Pretty sure I know the answer is yes but happy to be proved wrong.

It has started to click and I am looking at a replacement.

Fitted 5mm spacers to my et38 wheels and took it for a run, the steering wheel was shaking. Mmm.

Went down to the lads at Ats and the wheels did need balancing. Took it for another spin and its miles better but still vibrates at speeds above say 60. So am I right or wrong in my assumption the shaft is at fault?

On the plus side the wheels sit loads better

Interesting this is my Mondeo shakes above 50-60 and I can feel a click through the wheel when setting off, watching this with interest as its been suggested it could be my driveshaft(s).

Clio 182
I've never had a drive shaft cause me any wheel vibration before... whenever they have been going wrong I've always just had them start to make horrible noises, but no vibration.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hmm, when my driveshaft went I had no vibrations at all, until one day I went to drive it and it wouldnt move at all and clicked very loudly!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Mine just made a horrible clicking noise for a very long time. It did vibrate a little. But now I need my tracking done and new front tyres lol . The joys. Where did you source your drive shaft from in the end?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't yet. I'm getting it checked to see if it's a case of re packing it as its common the boot comes away. Will have a quick look later today

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Clicking and noise when turning, especially on full lock at low speeds, often points to the cv joint itself rather than the driveshaft. Not sure if this is the case with yours?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yep clicking, more noticable when left over night. You can't get the cv seperate so would be the complete shaft if it cant be sorted the other way.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Yeah I know I've had mine packed over the years but it just gave up in the end and the clicking just got louder and embarrassing lol. I had a brand new one fitted yesterday. Miles better. Some more noises coming from somewhere else now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
ha ha. Mines not 'loud loud' but is annoying. I want to eliminate this for more than one reason really.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yep clicking, more noticable when left over night. You can't get the cv seperate so would be the complete shaft if it cant be sorted the other way.

You can get CV joint's seperately mate. Not sure how easy they are to change though as I put a thread up a couple of weeks ago asking how to do it and no one replied. Wanted to know as it'd be cheaper and I've not done it before so it'd be good to learn.

Think the general gist is replacing the full driveshaft is easier though.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah okay. I assume they could be swapped but for some reason i didnt think you could buy one, as like you say most just swap them over, save the messing.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I tried looking for one but couldn't seem to find any. Which is normally my luck. Though I saved a fair amount on my shaft so not too bad

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Update.

Drive shaft seems fine, its not leaking and the boot is still on. Bonus.
Swapped the wheels front to back, thought i'd try it. Let you know later.
Im now swaying towards top mounts :smile:

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Has it stopped clicking then mate. Only because to look at mine looked fine but odviously wasn't. Bonus if it's all good though. Saves you pennies. I bought some new top mounts aswell. Mine basically had all new suspension and stuff. They can piss you off with the noises they make.