ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS Fuild Spewing Everywhere

1.6 Ford Focus
My power steering died 2 months ago and the whole fluid tank was near enough empty, so thinking it was a leak I checked out the system and found nothing so I just bought some more fluid and filled up the tank...

Now I appear to have a more alarming problem... the fluid appears to be expanding so much when it heats up that its busting through the cap. I now have PAS fluid all over the fluid tank and there is actually some on the bonnet!

Only thing I can think of is there's a pressure problem somewhere and air is being forced through the system and bubbling out of the fluid tank.

182 ff with cup pack's
mines doing the same as this mainly when im on the track anybody have any ideas as to what it is?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Massive bump but... had the same issue myself on Thursday, also on track. Never done it on the road. Same as this guy: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ing-fluid)&highlight=power+steering+fluid+cap

Seal for the cap seems to be sealing fine, breather hole not blocked, foam filter in the cap cleaned out, brand new OE pressure sensor fitted... At the moment all I can think of is 'bodging' it by making some sort of overflow catch tank and then tipping it back in after each session.

Any other ideas welcome!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Anyone found out what causes this? :S

Mine is seeping from the cap now, last Friday the car lost all the PAS fluid and it hadn't even been driven

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I *think* it's down to an air lock in the system bubbling out the reservoir. I made a catch tank for it, which did fill up ever so slightly on track the first few times I used it, but since then it seems to have stopped.

Most of the problem was immediately after I'd fitted a new sensor and filled the level up, so I think it just took some time to work through the system... I did the 'full lock to full lock' trick but still needed a bit of time.

Tigger - do you mean it lost fluid from the cap without even being driven!?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I don't know where it lost the fluid (no puddles where it was parked) but my undertray seems to be soaked in a light-brownish fluid.
Only noticed fluid coming out of the cap today when we were looking around the bay, I may have put a liitle too much fluid in when I topped up

The sensor, hoses and rack all look decent and dry from what I could see today.

I haven't the foggiest notion where the pump is so can't tell what shape it's in

None
Mine had a leaking power steering pressure switch - check that mate, is near the dipstick IIRC. I went to take the car in for the dephaser and the guy said to me "do you realise your power steering fluid reservoir is empty?"

That's what that brown puddle under the car was, oops!

"Navy" N17 TWO
My switch seems fine, a little bit dirty but it's bone dry!
There was me out today feeling it (oooh errr) hoping it was the answer to my worries - never that simple with my car :rolleyes:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Anything else worth checking, or is it another one of Renault's wonderful mysteries to dump all the fluid and be "fine" after you top it up?

PH1 172 (Track Car)
Just bringing this thread back from the dead as my clio started doing this whilst out on track on saturday.

Has anyone found a reason for the fluid to come out of the top of the tank? Could it just need a fluid change?

Ben

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Pretty sure mine did it because there was some air in the system, check the pressure sensor for leaks, its down near the dipstick/by the rad, got a wire going into the top.