ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Panel Wipe"

Megane 230 R26
Is "Panel Wipe" (i.e. Naptha) an acceptable substitute for Prepsol when cleaning for a localised paint repair, or does it attack paint/lacquer? My mate's got some of it and if it works the same then I don't need to buy any Prepsol :D

Any info would be greatly appreciated ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
panel wipe is just a degreaser/cleaning agent for cleaning pre painted surfaces. its what ive always used with all my paint except water based

Megane 230 R26
Gd stuff, cheers guys :)

I just thought as it's pretty much Petrol, it might not quite be the tool for the job... Thought maybe it was used only in bodyshop situations to clean prior to spraying an entire panel, and it might strip paint :S

Might start the first stage of my very first paint repair later! I've got the paint, artist's brushes, 2000 + 3000 grit, and a Megs G220 :) Fingers crossed!

Clio bonnets are such a target for stones :dapprove:

Megane 230 R26
^ You need a bonnet bra!! LOL

I had considered it after the repairs are done, but unless it covers the whole bonnet it's seemingly not going to do any good, there's loads of tiny chips on the front edge, but some massive ones on the rear 2/3rds of the bonnet :dapprove:

I considered a respray but I thought what's the bloody point in all that expense when they chip so easily :mad:, it's a non-metallic paint so seemless repairs *should* be possible :S

Megane 230 R26
They look terrible though!

Bonnet bras, or attempted undetectable paint repairs? I've read all the guides and it doesn't sound too hard but we'll see how it goes :S

I havnt got the effort to repair every stone chip

I'm just starting with the bigger ones first, I've got a trail of 3 deep scratches and a chip covering an area about 5" long up the bonnet, where a bloody ROCK has tumbled up it while I was moving at Warp 9 :(

Bonnet bras look hideous!

Reapiring stone chips is fairly easy well it should be on flat red paint!

As long as this rock didnt dent it you should be able to touch up and wet sand back!

Paint repairs arnt to difficult I'm quite impatient and its a job you need to be paitient for really!!

oh and get some pics up when you are finished