ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint Marring on Black TT

Cayman S Edition 1
So we've had my wife's TT for 3 weeks now and noticed after she washed it last night some serious marring on the bodywork.

Now the dealership has given it a heavy detail as there were a fair amount of scratches around it prior to purchase, plus they've coated it in GuardX (was done for free).

Its washed with Britemax shampoo with a brand new Gyeon mitt, and dried with i4D uber drying towels.

My thoughts are the dealership didn't do something right prior to applying the GuardX stuff, but I could be wrong. I've just applied some Autoglym Ultra deep shine polish to the bonnet which seems to have got rid of 80 - 90%, but there's still some marring there.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on the cause before I go back to the dealership. (this is prior to applying the AG polish).

IMG_4125.jpg

Titanium 182
Yup, looks like they didn't finish off properly. Possibly didn't make any passes with a finishing polish and pad, I'd go back and ask them to rectify it :down:

Cayman S Edition 1
That's what I thought. Strange thing is we haven't noticed it until now. But then its only visible in bright sunlight.

Pain in the a**e though:(

Titanium 182
That's what I thought. Strange thing is we haven't noticed it until now. But then its only visible in bright sunlight.

Pain in the a**e though:worried:
Yea you need that direct light sometimes! Poor workmanship though, their final stage should be to have a slow inspection of the whole car using a very bright LED torch to highlight any defects such as that before applying. Thank god they weren't working with something like Ceramic Pro!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like most dealers 'prep' work... Heavy compound all over then hide all the defects under a greasy heavy wax.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That looks like they've not buffed out their own marring after cutting out the original defect.

It should've been done with the cutting/polishing compound they used and wouldn't have require a finishing polish afterwards if it was done right.

Laymans; they worked the polish enough to remove the original defect, but should have run the machine on a slower speed after to remove those marks in the op

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They have used heavy compound to 'buff' the car and get rid of the scratches.

Then they've polished it with whatever crap they use which has hidden the holograms.

You've then washed the car which has washed the polish off and revealed the damage.

AG ultra deep shine on the bonnet is just hiding stuff, it hasn't removed anything.

Your best bet is to go over the whole car with a DA and a quality finishing polish Then get some good sealant on it.

Don't take it back to the dealer because if they've let a car like that go out in that state, they clearly have no regard for quality.

Cayman S Edition 1
Thanks everyone for responding and confirming what I thought had happened to it. I'm going to contact the dealership still and give them an opportunity to rectify the work. The main reason being my S3 is coming from the same place, so I need to ensure they bend over backwards to make sure thats 100% perfect upon collection.

Worst case, I've got a meguiars G220 so can do it properly.

Would Menzerna SF4000 be ok for that job? (I've recently bought some for the C30 before I sell it).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It depends now badly they've damaged the paint. It will be a case of trial and error really mate.

Cayman S Edition 1
Popped the car in to Audi today and to be fair they were extremely apologetic / eager to help.

Its booked in for next Friday to be re-detailed, so fingers crossed all gets sorted.

Cayman S Edition 1
Soooo picked the car up from the dealership. They only re-polished areas they felt needed doing and didn't actually wash the car.

My wife is now fuming and I'm sat here grumpy as f**k.

Looks like muggins is gonna have to do the whole car properly.

Cayman S Edition 1
Told you.
I will always give anyone a chance to prove themselves, but sadly you're right.

I feel sorry for the sales guy because he's always 100% professional, but it doesn't give me much hope for when my S3 arrives.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I will always give anyone a chance to prove themselves, but sadly you're right.

I feel sorry for the sales guy because he's always 100% professional, but it doesn't give me much hope for when my S3 arrives.
Ask them to stick the number plates on, not screw them on, and leave all the protective wrapping on.

Tell them you want the £40/50 they pay for a valet knocked off.

Then do it yourself when you get home.

Cayman S Edition 1
Shame they didn't fix it properly mate.
The sales guy looked a little embarrassed. I just don't get people's mentality at the moment. In my job I take great pride to ensure my customers are happy, but it's a shame not everyone thinks like that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The sales guy looked a little embarrassed. I just don't get people's mentality at the moment. In my job I take great pride to ensure my customers are happy, but it's a shame not everyone thinks like that.
Poor management.

Managers (on the whole) treat working staff like s**t in the car trade.

That then gets reflected in the work they do.

Cayman S Edition 1
My managers aren't much different tbh, but I choose to ignore the lack of management and make the job as good as I can. But that's probably due to the fact I work from home. If I was surrounded by idiots all day, I'd probably quit;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Customer service is as important to me as profit is, both are mutable exclusive imo.

I always thought like DK with the Porsche, if you're not happy then f**k off and someone else will buy the car or come in and use us. Ford, Nissan etc could sell cars for fun most of the time but they put in more effort than the quieter dealers. Maybe it's a dealership thing, it's a fact that 99% of salesman are c***s so dealerships generally are.

Sometimes I think I'd have made a great car salesman, then I think, best ones I know/knew had no interest in cars and knew f**k all about them. They made stupid money. Go figure.

Cayman S Edition 1
This is why we bought two cars from audi in guildford, because the sales guy was genuinely so helpful without the normal bullsh*t. He did say to me today that if I'm still not happy, he'll get the car collected and done again, but in my mind they've now had the chance to rectify the issue and obviously not made the extra effort to ensure its perfect.

I'm starting to feel you have to be a complete c**t these days to get anywhere in life. Really fed up with being let down so much.