ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oulton Park Race Report

Turbos.
Was at Oulton last weekend in the GT Cup, for the first time! Have to say, this is probably now my favourite circuit. Unlike most UK tracks, its not airfield based so had plenty of dips and crests. It was also technically challenging, the camber meant apexes weren't also as obvious as they first seemed. For a taste, check out the old BTCC race below:

[youtube]rfmwdrDiAQw[/youtube]

So we weren't complete noobs, we rented out an Exige on the Wednesday which was brilliant thanks to the nice weather and the fact we were one of about five cars on track!

On Friday, we had the official test day to get to grips with the circuit in our own car. At the last round at Brands, a new rear clam was needed after a Marcos rear-ended my dad. Other cosmetic work was done, and we now have a rear view camera!

AElise1.jpg

AElise5.jpg

AElise4.jpg

The weather was mixed, so setup and tyre changes were par for the course!

AElise2.jpg

AElise3.jpg

AElise7.jpg

AElise12.jpg

Unfortunately the gearbox was being a bit troublesome, changing from 3rd to 4th. Seemed to be the selector fork. Annoying as the gearbox has been perfect for over a year now, right up until just a week ago! The head scratching began...

AElise6.jpg

AElise10.jpg

AElise11.jpg

To make things a bit sweeter, our mate who works nearby at Bentley sorted out a new Supersports for us. Has over 600bhp but is incredibly easy to drive! Camera didn't do the colour justice...

AElise8.jpg

Qualifying was the following morning. We found the car in it's new dressing gown!

AElise13.jpg

I needed to do my minimum amount of laps (out lap, fast lap, in lap) to give my dad a proper run (we only get 20 mins) but he couldn't improve as the gearbox was getting worse. Over to the boys once again!

AElise18.jpg

AElise17.jpg

AElise16.jpg

I made my dad do the first race as he hadn't had any time in the car, but sods law was that the gearbox locked up on him and he had to retire after just a few laps!

I was a bit nervous starting my race (from the back) as my testing time was slower than everyone's qualifying laps! We were feeling a bit aggrieved that we had been moved up a class a few rounds ago when in reality we were fine where we were.

Fortunately, the team had got the car working as long as i short shifted to fourth. I occasionally had problems but overall the car was good and i managed to get my best times despite the issues. We didn't finish high up the order, but at least i lapped a Honda'd Exige!

AElise25.jpg

AElise24.jpg

Managed to lose a mirror, but not sure how! Too 'in the zone' to notice!

AElise15.jpg

Check out the pick up on the tyres after the race...

AElise14.jpg

Then it was a case of packing up and dreaming of a Hewland box to replace the crappy Quaife!

AElise20.jpg

AElise21.jpg

AElise22.jpg

AElise19.jpg

AElise23.jpg

Lionel Richie
what time was your best lap out of interest Rob? i think a "quick" clio is around 2min from memory for the full course including shell hairpin

Two 0 Shitx
Looks good mate, did you see the white exige after the crash? Been looking for pictures but can't find any...

I think that was the gearbox you bought off us too? Sorry :eek:

Turbos.
Don't worry...that would be Quaife's fault!

Not got any photos of Doug's car, but it is completely fcuked. I think it will need a new tub as it was completely wrecked on one side. Felt really sorry for him, as he just spent a fortune on a new K20 and rebuild. He admitted it was his fault...cold tyres.

My best lap was 1.50.812 Fred.

172, Tiguan
Great stuff Rob, still living the dream. Enjoy reading these race reports.

What stage is the NSX at now? Is it still being rebuilt?

Turbos.
Thanks Jon,

The NSX is pretty much there, the engine is just being finished off. Just a few tweaks being made so a repeat of the problem doesn't occur again.

I will be racing it at the end of October in a night race at Snett.