ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OS X VPN woes

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Evening,

I've connected to my work VPN via PPTP and I can access the internet and my IP is showing as the correct one for the office, however, I cannot connect to any network resources, I can't ping any machines on the local network and I can't RDP into any of the servers.

It's like the MBP doesn't even know that I'm VPNd into the office.

Just before anyone suggests, I've already done the following:

Moved VPN to the top of the list under networks
Checked the box marked "Send all traffic over VPN"

I've googled it and a fair amount of people have had the same issue and haven't come up with any other solutions than the above.

FYI I'm running 10.8.2 and trying to RDP onto an SBS 2011 box and all the things I can't do on my MBP, I can do from a Windows laptop that I have sat next to me on the table.

Thanks.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The remote network and your local network aren't on the same subnet are they?

I.e work on 192.168.0.x and your home on 192.168.0.x?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The remote network and your local network aren't on the same subnet are they?

I.e work on 192.168.0.x and your home on 192.168.0.x?

Yes they are both on the same. But again this shouldn't matter unless it's another one of OSX's quirks because the windows laptop is also the same but works.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yes they are both on the same. But again this shouldn't matter unless it's another one of OSX's quirks because the windows laptop is also the same but works.

That is almost certainly the cause of your problems. If you are on the same network both sides then (without) being told where each computer is, your computer won't know which side of the network they are on, you have routing issues. Maybe your windows VPN client is putting static routes in for you or something.

The way you have it configured is basically a no-no, you should have different networks at both ends otherwise you're going to have routing issues.

I bet if you change your local network IP (10.x.x.x) everything will magically start working.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just using the default windows VPN.

So yeah, it shouldn't make a difference unless it's another one of OSX's quirks. f**king annoying tbh, it's so so great as a recreational laptop but as soon as I want to do something work related it sucks hard.

I shouldn't have the change the subnet for my home network just to use VPN. I can guarantee 99% of people on BT have 192.168.1.x

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Just using the default windows VPN.

So yeah, it shouldn't make a difference unless it's another one of OSX's quirks. f**king annoying tbh, it's so so great as a recreational laptop but as soon as I want to do something work related it sucks hard.

I shouldn't have the change the subnet for my home network just to use VPN. I can guarantee 99% of people on BT have 192.168.1.x

And?

Whoever set up your VPN (and I'm being kind here) is a dipshit. You have a routing issue and its almost certainly caused by the fact that that both networks are on the same address.

Given that most home users will be on a 192.168.x.x address only an idiot would set up a work network on those addresses if its to be used as a VPN endpoint.

I don't know why its working under windows, but its surprising you haven't got routing issues because its misconfigured.

What happens if a machine connects that already has an IP that exists on the VPN side?

Like I said, the easiest way for you to solve this is to change your network address so that there is no conflict, you changing your network address is likely to have little or no o ramifications other than allowing the VPN to work correctly.

Or you reconfigure the VPN to use an address that is unlikely to be used by the users "dialing in", I suggest something starting with 10.

Its nothing to do with OS X quirks, your VPN is not configured well.

You can make all this go away very easily or you can sit and argue/moan but i know which I'd do.....

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus, who got your knickers in a twist.

If you connect with an ip address that is used on the internal network then your connection is refused.

Also with regards to windows vpn, it's not just a one off. It works ALL the time. But yeah, I'd rather do without than ***** around changing my home network. The office network was set up a long while ago and for me to change that now isn't an easy job.

I appreciate the help but you seriously need to be less of an arrogant c**t

Thanks.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Obviously not, but given that I've told him what the problem is and why the problem exists he still chooses to ignore it.

Give someone advice and they call you an arrogant c**t. Nice one.