ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions on this statement from a fiesta owner

Scirocco GT 210
This was said by someone off a fiesta forum about the fiesta ST.

"Even though it's not even remotely aimed at competing with the Clio (the ST is cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure and cheaper to maintain) the ST holds its own against the Clio on a track, e.g. the ST is 0.1s slower than a 182 round the 'ring. The Clio's extra bhp is high up in the rev range too so unless you cane it absolutely everywhere you won't notice much difference - in the low and middle rev ranges, the two cars are very similar in performance.

If you bought an ST over a Clio, then spent the difference on engine mods (you'd get manifold, exhaust, induction easily with that amount of cash), you'd wee on a Clio. "

I was just wondering what you clio people thought of this? And the fiesta ST in general.

p.s. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section :eek:

Lee

BMW M2C
I like them, nice little warm hatches.

Evo didn't think much of it though, they seem to prefer the Zetec S, saying that the ST is over tyred, 17"s:eek:

Yaris Hybrid
Basically it reads like this:

"I couldn't afford to buy and insure a Clio. So instead I bought a Fiesta and along with my fellow club members will try to reassure ourselves by inventing false figures and statistics to make us feel better about having to buy the second best car. If we all keep repeating the false facts and figures we will eventually begin to believe them"

You see similar statements on just about every other car forum you visit - including this one. E.g. "I wouldn't want a 911, the Clio will be faster through the twisties and if you spend the difference in price on an Audi TT engine transplant it will be pretty much as quick in a straightline".

Er yeah alright boys, if you won the lottery you would be straight down the Porsche dealership.

I guarantee if the people making the statements got a pay rise they would be straight out buying the better car.

If performance is what you are after then the Clio is a far better car. No doubt the Fiesta has a more solid and modern interior etc and by all means talk that up but when they start discussing performance it all goes wrong.

The fester is good but not 182 good, take the rose tinted shades boys the dagenham dustbin isnt as good as the froggy shed.

Megane Mk4
Toypop said:
Basically it reads like this:

"I couldn't afford to buy and insure a Clio. So instead I bought a Fiesta and along with my fellow club members will try to reassure ourselves by inventing false figures and statistics to make us feel better about having to buy the second best car. If we all keep repeating the false facts and figures we will eventually begin to believe them"

You see similar statements on just about every other car forum you visit - including this one. E.g. "I wouldn't want a 911, the Clio will be faster through the twisties and if you spend the difference in price on an Audi TT engine transplant it will be pretty much as quick in a straightline".

Er yeah alright boys, if you won the lottery you would be straight down the Porsche dealership.

I guarantee if the people making the statements got a pay rise they would be straight out buying the better car.

If performance is what you are after then the Clio is a far better car. No doubt the Fiesta has a more solid and modern interior etc and by all means talk that up but when they start discussing performance it all goes wrong.

You mean they're trying to compare a car that Ford "thought", would bring back the spirit of the XR2i ?? ... It has, but unfautunately they had to power-pack the 1.6 engine so much that it would even have any sort of running distance between any of the hot hatches on the market today,
True that Ford know about how to put a car together but, in the other respect too, they also made them really quickly and cheap so the build aint too good.. You see loads of Fords on the roads with rust,
Theres a guy I know with a 52 plate Focus and its broken down with engine problems 3 times and is already rusting over the arche on the off-side rear wheel.. Not good going isnt it?

Still as ford say... "good to last" ... Just dont say for how long :approve:

Renaultsport Clio 182
Steve, was that posted on UKFN?

All I'll say is I'm about to spend £9-10k on a hot hatch and the Fiesta ST hasn't even come into the equation ;) Ugly to look at in my opinion and nowhere near enough power for their weight...they only have around the same power to weight ratio as a 106 GTi. And by todays standards, that just isn't enough.

Clio 182 over Fiesta ST anyday of the week :)

E91 M Sport
If you're interested, the topic is here. To be fair, that comment has come from one person, and the others all appear to disagree. lol.

Theres no way there just 0.1 second between the Fiesta and 182 on the ring more likly 30 seconds.
The Fiesta is a good car but its not a hot hatch like the 182 there 30hp for a start missing. Its warmish hot hatch.

You wouldnt belive that i went in to a ford garage and they wouldnt let me test drive one because they said it was two high insurance group for me to test drive what a joke:clown: i had my clio outside or he thought why do you want to buy one of these if i had a clio

Yaris Hybrid
********HEY HEY!!! FIESTA ST GOING ROUND THE TRACK IN 5TH GEAR TONIGHT ACCORDING TO THE WEB PAGE***********

If it is only 0.1 slower around a long fast circuit like the ring it should post an identical time to the Clio around this track.

Please paste the result onto the Fiesta forum afterwards.

EDIT: THE RESULTS ARE ALREADY ON THE WEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clio = 54.56
Fiesta = 55.39

0.1 second my arse!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course a 182 Cup would be even quicker and a lot cheaper than the Fiesta.

Last edited:
I hired a Fiesta ST over a couple of days through work. I could'nt wait to hand it back!!!!! It was sluggish, you had to thrash the arse of it to get any thrills. The build quality I thought was no better if not worse than my Reno. At speed (80+) I thought I was gonig to loose bits off it. Good points was the interior was quite nice, and I quite liked the look of the car.

When I dropped it off and jumped in my 182, the difference in pace / handling was evident, it made me realise why the 182 is considered the top hot hatch by some car mags.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I personally think it looks a bit nicer than the 182, etc but it's not as quick. I also read the Evo issue about preferring the drivability of the ZS, due to details such as 17's, which look great but seriously affect performance.

Spending the money saved on engine mods however, would be interesting to see...

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
Well we have the answer. The ST was about 2 secs slower than the clio around the track in the hands of tiff. Enough Said.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
^0.83sec if above is correct!

Can you veiw the fifthgear board online like the top gear one?

Mini Cooper S sport
They seem a fairly reasonable bunch on there - I've read a lot more b****cks on this site!

I don't know anything about Fiestas..apart from the fact you see as many of the things on the road as you do Clios.

Yaris Hybrid
Paul J said:
^0.83sec if above is correct!

Can you veiw the fifthgear board online like the top gear one?

Yes you can.

Actually I think the lap time was fairly impressive. I still wouldn't buy one though.

Lee

BMW M2C
Toypop said:
********HEY HEY!!! FIESTA ST GOING ROUND THE TRACK IN 5TH GEAR TONIGHT ACCORDING TO THE WEB PAGE***********

If it is only 0.1 slower around a long fast circuit like the ring it should post an identical time to the Clio around this track.

Please paste the result onto the Fiesta forum afterwards.

EDIT: THE RESULTS ARE ALREADY ON THE WEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clio = 54.56
Fiesta = 55.39

0.1 second my arse!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course a 182 Cup would be even quicker and a lot cheaper than the Fiesta.

That was the episode Tiff was sliding the Clio around more than he needed to just to make the Civic look good. ;)

Yaris Hybrid
Hmm yeah still not sure if that silly driving was just done for the cameras but they cut it so that it looked like he did that on his hot lap.

I think tbh fords have missed the boat yet again with the fiesta st.
They ought to bring out real hot hatches, rather than these 'limp wristed' so called 'warm hatches' every fiesta st I ever see seems to be driven by some 18 yr old who thinks he's driving an F15 fighter jet.

Turbo Beige
The ST was designed to compete with the Peugeot 206 GTi, and that is pisch. They knew that they couldn't compete with the 182 so they didn't bother.

my friends got one, he took it to pumaspeed week after he got it and had a full exaust system (back box de cat and manifold) put on it and had it mapped, its pretty quick he wants to race a 172/182 im hoping to take him in my valver but its doubtful. its white and i dont like the stripes onit but it looks so plain without them

106 GTi
Like Lee said the ST is warm hatch, a rival to the likes of the Pug 206 GTi 138 rather than the 172/182.

Clio V6
I can't believe what the Fiesta owner has said. The ST is nothing compared to the Clio. To be losing nearly a second a lap on that tiny little, twisty 5th Gear lap is a lot. The Fiesta is basically a 'fast' little hatch back, where as the Clio is much more of a drivers car, much more involving and fun. I agree with 'ToyPop' the Fiesta guy is just trying to big his car up, but i'm sure he really knows that an ST wouldn't touch the 182.

As Lee said, remember Tiff made that silly mistake on the final corner so the Civic got a quicker time!

One with a few more
My dad had the ST - for three months. He also tried the RS - no chance!

After having driven an ST, What can I say?
Hardly any immediate response on the throttle, almost like you have to will it to move forward in the firts few seconds. The interios is shoddily built and easily mucked up through reasonable daily wear. The design of the car is nothing compared to the Clio.
And, I'm not overexaggerating here, my little 16v engine actually responds better when pulling away than the ST did. Obviously the ST would absolutely cane my lickle Clio after 3 seconds or so - but it honestly took ages to respond even in good conditions

There done

MKIII 138
that topgear lap was a fekin joke imo. the 182cup is faster than a ctr round the track and the bigger the track the bigger the gap.

just my opinion

A 182 Cup is a matter of pounds more expensive than the Fiesta ST, that much is fact. I can't get over the fact that someone is quoting 'ring figures though, how the hell were they verified?! If anything a shorter track would have a more realistic outcome, with the 'ring its as much about driving talent as it is the car.