ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions on this - scam or genuine?

Racing Blue 182 Cup
I got this yesterday via the Autotrader website where I am advertising my 182...

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: RENAULT
MODEL: CLIO
PRICE: £6500

I am really interested in your Vehicle listed for sale on auto trader
website.
I will like to know if you still have it for sale.
Are you the first owner?
Did you have all the paper work and the receipt of purchase for
documentation?
What is your last asking and the present condition?
The area for the pick up and lastly the reason for offering it for sale.
Thanks and i look forward to hear from you today ASAP
Warm Regards

Mrs Gordon.

So I replied...

hi, yes the clio is still for sale.
there is 2 previous owners and the car is in brilliant condition.
the clio is complimented with a full service history which includes 2 stamps in the service history book. the last full service stamp being at 25100 miles prior to me purchasing the vehicle in january. the clio is now on 27100 miles so it is fair to say it is in tip top condition. tax and mot not being due till 2010.
the colour is renault racing blue and is one of only two colour options that was available for the clio 182 cup. the colour 'racing blue' is very rare and extremely desirable. the rarity can be verified on the official renault website in their 'heritage' section.
http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage/182cup/
the clio is only for sale as me and my partner are saving for the deposit for a house, so this mint example is going to make way so we can get a foot on the housing ladder. i would honestly be keeping the car if it were not for this. i will be very sad to see her go.
i am situated near to blackpool and i honestly believe this is one of, if not 'the', best for sale in the country.
thanks for your interest, if you have any more queries please call 07790884083
john goldstone

Got a reply from 'Mrs Gordon' this morning...

Good Morning,
Thanks for your quick response and am also excited to hear from you that the vehicle is still available for sale.
And thanks for the information you just gave about the vehicle and am quite delighted to hear from you that the vehicle is still in great conditions.
The reason why am purchasing this vehicle is because My self and my husband just need one additional vehicle.

Please i want you to email me more pictures aside from the one on web advert page if is still available both the exterior and interior.
Due to my condition i will not be able to view the vehicle at present because i'm heavily pregnant,and the distance as well.
My personal circumstances do not allow me to travel,like wise my husband is away on a business trip.
According to the Features of the vehicle and the Full Description of the vehicle which i saw on the advert page i'm fully satisfied.

I want you to accept my offer of £6,700 inclusive the advert fees just because I know what the worth of the vehicle and more so what you' ve stated about the vehicle details in the advert page and the maintenance of the vehicle you've spent so far since you bought the vehicle.
The only way you will release the vehicle to any one is when the cash is in your hand, i.e. payments cleared at bank, and withdrawn,which may take 3 to 5 working days.

We are located in a small city at Guernsey
I did NOT request for your bank details.
I will only required your full name and your postal address.
My preffered method of payment is by bankers draft in a (GBP) that's the only option and safest way for me to transfer CASH.

I hope to hear from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible.
I look forward to hear back from you today.
Cheers
Mrs Gordon.

Hmmmm...so I just replied now...

So let me get this right...you dont want to view the car? you are wanting to offer me more money than what the car is advertised at? to be honest this sounds like a scam - the broken english used in the emails is suspicious too. pull the other one its got bells on. you have not even called either! you need to do some serious convincing because i was not born yesterday. there is hundreds of these 182's for sale, probably several on your island and you want to buy this clio 182, at the other end of the country, for above market value. you need to explain yourself.
thanks
john goldstone

Yeah its a bit long winded but I'm glad you are still reading this. btw my 182 is only up for sale for 6500!?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=05

Comments please...

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
Looks like a scam to me.

No phone call, no visit and offering more than asking price = very, very likely to be a scam.

172 5HED
scam, had it myself before, wait till they send you the draft and then tell them you're going to pass it to the poilce, they dont like that!!

OneTime_

ClioSport Club Member
  '65 BMW F31 330d
Scam. Had this a few times now. Always on a remote British Island...really weird.

Racing Blue 182 Cup
i am certain its a scam but how do they make the money because the car aint going anywhere till the readies are in the bank??

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Probably want to know where you live so they can nick it. Fcukin gypsies.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i dont understand some scammers,

its the biggest give away when you read these emails, they look like theyve been written by 10 year olds,

im guessing who ever wrote the email is in a completely difference country, or just an idiot,

and its the biggest give away, when they start saying theyll give you more than the asking price, just doesnt sound like a genuine buyer.

finally why do they need a sporty hot hatch, when shes an expecting mother and hes always away on business, sounds like a 182's just what they need to start theyre new family.

id forward it on to auto trader if it was me.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I cant believe you even had to ask lol ...

iseestupidpeople.jpg

BMW E46 330i Touring
The very first enquiry maks it obvious it's a scam... seen sooo many of them now!

I'm surprised nobody has made a more believable enquiry tbh. A decent first email and an another way of wording "I want it to be shipped" and they'd be well away against a fair few potential victims.

Last edited:
  Racing Blue 182 Cup
Can't believe you even bothered replying.

i was inquisitive to see where 'mrs gordon' was going with this.
possibly the worst scam ever.
like someone said; it looks like its been written by a ten year old.
i have had no reply yet lols - not that i expect one!

ZX6R B1H
Setup another bank account, accept the payment bank it... as soon as it clears empty the account. Keep hold of the money for a while and whala, You beat the system.

Would be nice if it worked, but i doubt it would lol

RS 172 cup
Setup another bank account, accept the payment bank it... as soon as it clears empty the account. Keep hold of the money for a while and whala, You beat the system.

Would be nice if it worked, but i doubt it would lol

worth a try imo see if you even get a bankers draft, take money dont send car and see where it goes, could be funny

Racing Blue 182 Cup
I found this, its the same scam, tell your friends!!

http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/classifiedadscams.htm

Scams related to classified advertisements are becoming increasingly more common nowadays. Although these scams differ from the 419 scams that this website concentrates on, they are becoming so widespread that it is worth describing how they work, to try and prevent people from falling victim to them.
In a classified advertisement scam, a scammer responds to an advertisement that has been placed on the web or in a classified magazine. The advertisement can be for anything: a car, a motorbike, a boat, a computer... anything that is being advertised at a reasonably high price. Typical targets for the scammers are items that are advertised for sale on Ebay or on classified advertisement websites. More recently, scammers have been targeting different types of classified advertisements as well, including ones offering property for rent.
The scammer will express an interest in buying the item that is for sale. However, the scammer tells the vendor that he lives abroad, and that he would like to send the vendor a cheque to cover the cost of the item, plus an additional amount to cover the cost of shipping the item overseas.
If the vendor agrees to this, the scammer sends them a cheque or a banker’s draft for the total amount. The vendor pays the cheque or draft into their bank account, and the bank clears it immediately, making the funds available in the vendor’s bank account.
The scammer then asks the vendor to get in touch with the shipping agent immediately in order to arrange the shipment overseas. The vendor does so, and the shipping agent (another scammer) asks for their fee up front. They usually ask for the fee to be sent via Western Union to enable them to collect it immediately. As the scammer’s cheque or bank draft has been cleared by the bank as soon as it was paid in, the vendor agrees to this, and sends the shipping agent their money.
The vendor is usually then contacted by the scammer, who asks the vendor to send the rest of the money back as he no longer wants to purchase the item. There is usually a hard-luck story attached: one common story is that the scammer’s son or daughter has been involved in an accident or is seriously ill, and the scammer needs the money to pay for their hospital treatment. If the vendor agrees, they transfer the rest of the money back to the scammer, again probably via Western Union.
At this point, the vendor is still unaware that they have been scammed. They remain unaware of this until the scammer’s cheque or bank draft completes the bank clearing process – which can take days or even weeks – and the bank finally finds out that it is a forgery. At this point the bank withdraws the money back from the vendor’s bank account, leaving the vendor out of pocket, sometimes to the tune of thousands of pounds.
In summary, you should be extremely suspicious if:
  • Someone responds to a classified advertisement you have placed and wants you to ship the item abroad, without even having seen the item.
  • They offer to pay you the amount of the item, plus the shipping costs, and ask you to arrange the shipping and pay the shipping agent yourself.
Do not be reassured if you receive a cheque or a banker’s draft and your bank clears it as soon as you pay it into your account; it may still be a forgery, and if so, you will lose out.
I have been contacted by a number of people who have fallen victim to this scam. Make sure you don’t end up becoming a victim yourself.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
hi mate, i would like to offer you £9000 for your car, all i need is ur passport, driving licence and ur bank details, pm if ur interested

hahaaaaaaa

DB.

BMW 440i
This has the cup seats doesnt it? Not the half leathers?

Im after a 182 atm but looking for the leather seats, even though i plan on buying some recaros down the line!

Everything else seems about right for what im after! Grrrr.

ROFL at the scam btw! These people really do make me laugh! I would only want cash tbf from a private sale!

172 cup
scam scam scam, had something similar done to me about 5 years ago but was through paypal. Purchased a motorbike from me, never viewed, sent a courier to collect then made out it was badly damaged on arrival and tried for about 3 months to demand money back. This was when scams were fairly rare but he didn't pull the wool over my eyes. The amount of grief and hassle I got from it though was unreal