ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One hand brake cable longer

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Hi

Ive adjusted the nut under the car so much that the off side rear caliper is on and the near side calliper is not. Is there any other adjustment from side to side ?

Discs and pads are only a month old.

Thank for any help.

Andy

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Cables are3 handed, proberbly got them the wrong way round if they're both new

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I take it that the only adjustment is the nut ? When both hand brake cables are brand new are they the same length ? As far as I'm aware the hand brake cables are old.

Cup In bits
iirc yeah they are but it doesn't matter if they are longer or shorter, they have a shared adjustment mechanism on them so are adjusted evenly.

Have you tried grabbing the end of the cable on the bad side with pliers at the calliper? Good chance it could be snapped and it will pull out the sheath.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just a thought . Maybe the caliper that's not working with the handbrake cable is seized ?

172/B8 Quattro
Yep one is longer than the other as I ordered one and fitted today and had to get right side as mine had snapped

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Hi

Thanks for the info and some ideas to find out what's wrong.

The near side caliper closes when the brake peddle is applied. Also I've tried pulling on the slackish hand brake cable to see if it would pull out or operate the caliper but no joy. The nut is only half way a long the adjuster thead.

It seemed like a really easy job to do as well. Lol

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Well having looked at it all again today all seems to be as it should..no snapped cables..caliper arm moves but still the cable is slack. Do these cables stretch ? Would winding both caliper pistons do anything for the hand brake ?

Help much appreciated

Andy