ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OMG how the ****

Was on my way yo the missus when i turned a corner, heard a loud clonk and the steering went all funny and there was a hard vibration in the steering !! Pull upto my gfs open the centre cap and out drops 3 sheared bolts. How the f**k did i not die !!!

Earlier this month i had a colision with a curb at a fair few knots, could this have damaged the bolts before ? one of the nuts was a brand new locking one.

This ever happened to anyone else ?

im hoping this is maybe over tightening ? because previously the bolts had come loose on the left hand side (as they do) so i did them up tight.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the knock probably cracked the bolts and they eventually sheard off.you were lucky though werent you,could have been a lot worse if the last bolt had sheared as well.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 15 February 2004

:confused:

Thats pretty bad... good job you werent doing any high speed at the time.
Which is Unusual!

Glad your ok Craig, and that beauty didnt kill you or herself!!

Yeah only scared me after i saw 3 bolts fall to the floor !! Was expecting 1 maybe 2 max !! My dad reckons he can remove the bolts easliy !! u reckon could have caused that ? the curbage ? or overtightening ?

have seen this problem alot on the clio mk1s, mainly valvers,

have removed many snapped bolts and most have been done after a visit to a local tyre fitters, when they do them up with a nut gun,

they are usually easy to get out as they have quite a course pitch on the thread,

just remeber to use a torque wrench on them when tightening,

Quote: Originally posted by Itsallaboutcris on 15 February 2004

DAMM

Glad 2 hear that your ok man, thats the most important thing.That sh!t would freak me out aswell.
Cheers mate !! If that last one had have gone I might be dead now !!

I have had seven snapped wheel studs on my 16v some shear when tightening, some when you go to loosen them (even if they have been copasliped up). Has to be a weakness with them. Getting them out once snapped is actually (thank god) fairly easy, as they always shear at same point, and with disc off you can get vice grips onto back and they come free dead easy.