ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ollie's Silver Cup - JMS RS2/Wilwood/2118

Re: Iceberg 172 Cup Project

I tried to mock fit the mocal tank this morning in the position I wanted it; I think I'm going to have to get a bracket made, as otherwise attaching it straight to the metal brace/section next to the battery will place it too far forward. So, I need to look into sorting that this week possibly.

We can sort that for you if needs be.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Great news on your TDF ITB setup; how long's the car going to be there? It's only down the road from me, I'd like Matt to do the mapping on mine if possible.

It's going in on Sunday and I'll prob pick up on the saturday morning mate, another lad off here is having his car mapped and has offered me a lift, if I can wait that long lol

I'll prob be there 6am on thursday banging on the shutters!! Can't wait! If I pick it up on the sat pop down.

Ollie's Silver Cup

I remember why my old car went away for a week, seemed like the longest week ever! Will be great when you pick it up though! :cool:

Ah I may have to pop down on the Saturday then, assuming I don't have to pop into work.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Getting close to the JMS intake being ready now; cannot wait. If you've not seen in the JMS traders section, the new cast designs from jenvey dynamics have been posted and looks great!

There was also a render posted of a black 2011 spec RS2. I'd asked for mine to be finished in black, but seeing this just confirmed that I'd definitely made the right choice! :D

6.JPG

(image borrowed from http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?560497-JMS-RS2-2011-Design-Upgrades/page3 ) - loads of info in there re the updated manifold design.

Tom's kindly said he'll produce a render in my chosen colour scheme to get the idea of how it'll look. Just another reason that demonstrates why the service from JMS is so good and comprehensive! :)

I'm going to wait until fitting the RS2 intake before sorting where to mount the catch tank; I'm not quite sure how much room they'll be and how far forward I can sit it. Best to position it and mount it when the intake's in place I think.

Also, as I've mentioned previously, my braided lines on the front are a bit tight on full lock; they're actually stretched tight at full lock, which doesn't really inspire confidence. So, I'm having Earls make me a set up that are slightly longer to solve this issue; purple stainless steel braided finish. :D

And, one of thing, I'm contemplating whether to strip the back out. Looking at the turbo'd cup from the current issue of PFC, which has a stripped back painted black, it looks great. I'd like to do that and replace the rear windows with perspex jobbies. I'm a little hesitant given that it's used daily. Thoughts? What's it like living with a stripped out car everyday?

172 cup

I had a stripped out 106 and the only thing that annoyed me where the harnesses on my bucket seats other than that I loved it

Ollie's Silver Cup

Strippage, Oreca formed carbon door cards and perspex rear windows would do me nicely; and a lick of satin black paint :evil:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I am loving the rear strippage. However I don't know if I would do it to a daily driver.

Remove the rear seats first mate, see if you like it, can live with it.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

if i take the back seats out of mine on trackdays, even before the itbs it made my ears bleed, certainly couldnt do it to a daily! de cat really does make it loud tho!

Ollie's Silver Cup

I suppose I could still go with the carbon door cards and perspex windows, even with the rear seats in place. Depends whether you look at is as a waste of time with the rear seats still in, or the fact it would still be saving a bit of weight...

Mk1 Focus RS

Do you plan on doing the rear window in perspex too ? as being a daily you will loose the rear heated screen. also it may look a bit odd just being the rear's done as they are never as clear as glass and get tiny scratches all over them. Buy another car for a daily and save this for the weekends and track, then you can go all out with full window's and interior strip :)

How much are Earls charging ? and I do like the black JMS intake though.

Ollie's Silver Cup

My thinking was that the R26R used perspex rears, maybe they're tinted/matched though...hmmm!!

A set from Earls for the front axle is £41.08. I just need to confirm the connections needed; I believe they were supplied originally with 3/8" UNF 90deg female concave one end and 10x1mm fixed female concave the other. :)

Evo 5 RS

You can have the rears coated in marguard which will reduce scratching. The answer is not to wash them often ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup

You can have the rears coated in marguard which will reduce scratching. The answer is not to wash them often ;)

Yeah, they were the ones I was looking at from ACW Motorsport; £53 for rears in lexan or £90 for rears in Marguard Lexan, so both are good value really! They look very good from the photos that have been posted. :)

And thinking of something else for later in the year. I'd like to run a cable throttle alongside the RS2. Best way I can see of doing so, would be a single larger diameter Jenvey item and aftermarket ecu. It's only an idea for now, but it's something I'd like to have a look into a bit more. ;)

There would be no output advantage in moving across to cable throttle, and very little difference in response as the manifold does provide far improved throttle response over the stock intake tract.

Ollie's Silver Cup

and very little difference in response as the manifold does provide far improved throttle response over the stock intake tract.

Really, that's what I was hoping to achieve with it tbh. :D I suppose the mapping can/will further improve response too.

I suppose then, that any increase from the use of a larger Jenvey TB wouldn't be worth the costs involved.

Last edited:

Not really, larger TBs are all well and good - but it's not as simple as wack a larger one on = more power as it relates to gas speeds.

The smaller internal total volume & more efficient function of the manifold combined with proper calibration does produce a far improved throttle response. You'd have to ask Paul / Matt how this is achieved as I don't pretend to be able to calibrate engines / ecus.

Last edited:
  Ollie's Silver Cup

Cheers, Tom.

If the throttle response will be much improved with the new manifold design, then there's no reason for me to look any further at switching to cable. :)

I'm sure the results the RS2 gives will keep me plenty happy anyway! :cool: :evil:

Ollie's Silver Cup

Well not really an update, more looking for advice and/or thoughts.

As a possibility, I'm thinking of going for a set of 428's.

I'd always eventually wanted to fit uprated cams; it seems like hitting it at the same time as the RS2 intake would be logical, as I could then just get it all mapped in a single hit :race:

I appreciate that the more 'wild' cam profiles will see better results, but this is my only car and used every day, therefore the 'mild' 428 profile seems like a nice comprise between performance and everyday drivability.

Reading through Dave's thread, he seemed to get good strong results with the use of the Cat 428's.

This is something I'm seriously considering at the moment. As above, sorting the cams at the same time as the JMS intake would seem a logical move regarding the mapping side of things.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

do you need a cam belt?? if not i really wouldnt bother mate, for the benefits you get they really are not worth it mate. the RS2 will give you lovely gains on it own.

just my personal experience mate. my car def pulled better with them, but worth 1k ish fitted etc.... prob not

Ollie's Silver Cup

Nah it's not due a cam belt mate.

Was it noticeably quicker with the cams? I seem to remember you getting a pretty sizeable increase high in the rev range? I guess that's down to the 428 profile :)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

it was a lot more peaky, so further up the rev range there was plenty of oomph. Enough to justify the cost, probably not mate. id say stay with just the RS 2, and enjoy that, spend the money on trackdays :evil:

I was v lucky with the gains i got though

IMG_0951.jpg

C

clio-lord

do the rs2 first as u will see the diff. i was lookin at cams but atm im happy as hell with the rs2. like a whole new car. pulls and pulls. lots of fun!!

p.s love your car. one of the best on here great work mate. the look at your car made me want 2118s
which will be ordered soon

Ollie's Silver Cup

193 :eek: Didn't realise you'd got that high a figure from them!! Now I see why your car is a freak! :rasp:

Good to hear you're enjoying the RS2! Can't wait for mine :D

I'll probably wait to see how much disposable income I have at the end of the month and then decide.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Yeah, didn't want to sound like a knob, but mine does go really well for some reason, you'd be lucky to see 190 usually.

C

clio-lord

mine come out with 187 on rs tuning rr. but he said somethin about the camber on the car!!!???

so went to my rr close to home and from 171bhp with norm mods to 196hp!!!! rs2'd

best mod ever

Ollie's Silver Cup

I'll have a think about it; it was ultimately what I'd like to do, but given what you've said, I'm not sure now! :rasp:

How did you find it driving daily? I'm assuming with the 428's, they were mild enough to still drive around town, etc without problem? :)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Can be a little hesitant in town, and will sometimes need 200rpm or so more to keep smooth, but I'm used up them now and it's spot on. If you were looking to spend the amount you are on a JMS Mani and then cams, I'd say save it all and get bodies. I know that's not very constructive, but they transform the car completely

Ollie's Silver Cup

I imagine the RS2 will transform the car completely.

I seem to remember James' JMS Clio ran C&B cams; I'll have a search for info on how that performed too.

It's just an idea at the moment. Mainly, as it's something I always wanted to do eventually. :)

Renaultsport Clio 172

Pal, if you can afford just put the cams in, you know how things are (mods are a vice, we cannot stop :D ), you will end up doing them in the end and pay twice for mapping.

I have cams, and want the rs2 too, and mind you, will have to pay for mapping it again if I finally decide for the mani, so just save you a few quid and do it in once if you can.

Daves car did over 210, but he has cams, withou the cams his car well may be a touch below 200, so, they do work, don't they? And the rs2 will make the car to just drive as well as a stock one, bodies will always compromise the driveability around town, but so will cams and that is the tradeoff. And the idea of keeping all stock electronics is just such a nice bonus and easier to leave with (cc, trip comp, maintenance, replacing parts, sensors, etc, etc)

I think you are in the right path with rs2, and better if you add cams, at the end of the day... it is just money, an not that much tbh.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Taking into account Dave's comments and having asked advice from JMS' James (as I knew he ran cams with the RS2, although not 428's) I've sacked off this idea. :eek:

The standard cams will be staying.

When I next need the belts doing, I may go down that route, but for now it's not worth the time/effort/cost for the gains; especially when considering what good value the RS2 is in comparison! :D

TrackCar & F30 330d

Good Lad

Standard Cams FTW ;)

You've deffently gone for a really nice colour combo for the RS2, looks very nice. I look forward to seeing it on the car :)

do you need a cam belt?? if not i really wouldnt bother mate, for the benefits you get they really are not worth it mate. the RS2 will give you lovely gains on it own.

just my personal experience mate. my car def pulled better with them, but worth 1k ish fitted etc.... prob not

Very honest advice.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Good Lad

Standard Cams FTW ;)

You've deffently gone for a really nice colour combo for the RS2, looks very nice. I look forward to seeing it on the car :)

Thanks, I think the colour combo will work really well. I've asked Tom for the nuts/bolts to be anodised purple also (to tie in with the wheels bolts), which hopefully the anodisers can accommodate. :)

Very honest advice.

I asked some advice from James too, as I knew he had ran his RS2 with cams. I now know he ran the C&B cams, but with regards to the cat 428's he advised just sticking to the RS2 on standard cams; proven to work again and again. :)

Cheers guys, very much looking forward to the RS2 being ready. :D

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

ill see you on track v soon then fella!! Now u have that extra money for track days!

Ollie's Silver Cup

Also, ordered a set of Magnecor leads to go with the other engine bits. :)

When I had the plug damage a few weeks back, there was also light damage to a couple a lead too. Although it's been sorted for now, I thought best to get a new set of leads to prevent any future issues that may occur with the existing leads.

Went for the cheaper 8mm blue leads, as I can't see the 8.5mm really giving any benefit;

ktecp173.jpg