ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old HDD windows picks it up but can't acess it. freezes computer.

FF RB 182
I have an old harddrive from an old computer, which has alot of photos from holidays etc that i can't get back.

Got an external caddy, i plug it in, windows detects it, even detects the 2 partitions was an old OEM drive with a separate partition for windows back up.

When i open Computer to view the drives you can see the green status bar at the top slowly counting up and the drive spinning.. if i go and double click one of the partitions it makes the Computer window 'not responding' so i've tried to let it load up all the way.. but it just sits there doing nothing.

Tested it with ANOTHER HDD and could access everything on there fine and was fast.

Are there any apps to test the drive? I would of thought windows recognizing the 2 partitions on the drive to be good enough to let it access the files.

FF RB 182
chkdsk doesnt work for the drives.

Seagate tools won't run on windows 8, downloaded another program hddscan or something doesn't run either.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
are you sure the drive is getting enough power? I see this often when people underpower the drive by using a normal USB cable to power the drive. You need to use a twin usb cable to power external HDD's correctly or use an external power adapter.

FF RB 182
Crystal disk info is free and will give you an instant diagnosis.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

will try this now.

are you sure the drive is getting enough power? I see this often when people underpower the drive by using a normal USB cable to power the drive. You need to use a twin usb cable to power external HDD's correctly or use an external power adapter.

The caddy has a seperate power lead plugged into the mains.

One of the partitions is now showing... and i can access some folders... but then when i want to take permission of them it seems like too much work for it and freezes.