ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak from exhaust manifold

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
It's a small amount leaking out and seems to be bubbling from the manifold at the top nut as shown in the photo. The oil level on the dip stick hardly ever drops between oil changes. I've torqued it again but it still comes out. Any ideas what is causing it please as it's a bit messy?

DSCN5778.JPG

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Needs the rocker cover re-sealing IMO. I had the same issue with my old 172

mine does this try resealing the bolts one by one if there leaking mine helped but it still leaks a bit but its been fine for 2 years will get it done when cambelt due is best bet

SQ5
That manifold stud runs right into an oil way too. If its ever been out and not PTFE taped it will leak.

But that all looks above the manifold so more than likely rocker or breather plate gasket.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
When it's running you can see the gas/oil blowing very slightly through the manifold close to the nut so I'll try working on the manifold stud fix idea first.

SQ5
We removed it put a bit of PTFE around it and then a blob of sealant too I believe as they're and arse to do!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Thanks. I'll see how I feel about it on the day as the engine is coming out for other bits and bobs so could take it all apart. Thanks for the comments.