ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak around cam cover

Arctic 182
Hi,

Recently had my 182 serviced and was told I had a minor oil leak - decided to have a look and have found some oil on top of the cam cover as well as underneath it in the front of the engine sitting in some webbing.

Have had a look about on here to find the bolts leaking being a common problem, which isn't a big issue, but I'm surprised by the amount of oil sitting in the webbings. However I'm not having to fill up with oil regularly (last filled it up around Christmas time and haven't had any issues since).

But with that amount of oil sitting in the webbings, could the cam cover be leaking and need to be resealed, as well as the bolts?

Got some pictures to show what it looks like:

DSC_1161.jpg

DSC_1165.jpg

DSC_1162.jpg

DSC_1163.jpg

DSC_1164.jpg

Thanks in advance.

renault clio 1.4 16v
that's not much of a leak, my seats leak more oil than that :tonguewink:, next time you have the belts changed get the cover re sealed, or if it really starts pissing out, but I wouldn't worry too much about some dampness like that

FF Clio 182
Go big with the brake cleaner and blue roll to clean it all off. Then keep an eye on it and see if you can pin point the exact point of origin

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it's been leaking foot a while
Best think woukd be to do the bolt fix, clean it up, and see if it keeps leaking and from where......can't really see where else it might be coming from.
When clean your car will smell better too[emoji12]

I would be tempted to give it a clean, than take the bolts out one by one and put some sealant beneath the top of them.

Arctic 182
Thanks for your suggestions. Doing as @Symon suggested, cleaned it all up, then going to take the bolts out one by one and put some sealant on them.

Going to have to wait till Monday to do that though as don't have a torque wrench that that does 12NM unfortunately, so will need to buy one! If it works it'll be worth it though I guess.