ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil in 1 spark plug

clio 172 cup
When you start my car it's sluggish for the first 5mins or so. So thought I'd give it a service and change the spark plugs and igition leads. When we got to the spark plugs the second one from the left was filled with oil... :S.
been told it could be rocker cover gasket??

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
yeah, i think the 172 cam cover is sealed so will probally need re sealing at some point not a major problem

Golf GT TDI
had the same problem with mine, second from the left had a load of oil in it,
think its a common problem

Black Gold Trophy
replace the cam cover gasket, maybe use some silicone sealant or something to seal it nicely. Had the some problem with my corsa. Be careful though, the camshaft bearing caps are housed in the cam cover.

Clio 182
When i did a service on my old fiesta spark plug 1 and 2 were covered in oil. Turned out all it was was that when the previous owner had done a service on it when he had changed the spark plugs he didnt put the ht leads on them and when filling it with oil he spilled some down the holes of spark plug 1 and 2.

Was the oil on the spark plug above the thread on it or all over it?

SC 172 FF
had the same with mine, chambers 3 & 4 had small deposits of oil in them, as said above just left mine as not really causing any problems at the momment

clio 172 cup
When i did a service on my old fiesta spark plug 1 and 2 were covered in oil. Turned out all it was was that when the previous owner had done a service on it when he had changed the spark plugs he didnt put the ht leads on them and when filling it with oil he spilled some down the holes of spark plug 1 and 2.

Was the oil on the spark plug above the thread on it or all over it?

it was full.. 3 of the plugs didnt have drop in just 1 which was near enough to the top :(

Clio 172
Yeh its a common fault.

The cam cover is actually a cam cover and not a rocker cover and doesn't have a gasket.

You have to reseal the cover and then you have to put a little bit of sealant under each of the cam cover bolts as the oil pushes up through it.

Clio 182
it was full.. 3 of the plugs didnt have drop in just 1 which was near enough to the top :(

It wasnt full but i suppose it depends on how much oil the previous owner spilt into it. it may be what everybody else is saying about the cam cover but just thought id say what happened to my old car. :)