ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil comsumption

clio 182
After the track day the car used a litre of oil, I did giver her some stick, and I did change the oil to Millers Nano tec beforehand. A bit much I thought as the car has only done 46k, is this typical? Cheers Paul

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Ive had a 172 that I ran for 7 years and 156k and that never used a drop of oil a all. Had a 182 that used more than the Exon Valdez and my latest 182 that doesnt use any. From reading on here the consensus is to just keep topping the oil up as its quite costly to fix.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Mine drinks about 500 ml every 3k.
I cba trying to get that fixed so I ignore it

1 litre every 600 miles! You would never need to change the oil would you? Just keep topping it up and every 2000 miles it would have had a complete oil change. Just change the filter now and then. lol

clio 182
Cheers guys its just that js182 his car has done 163k and didnt use any they both seem to have the same power I woulder if its the way its been run in as they is no blue smoke and oil leeks .on normal running it doesn't use any I will have to keep an eye on it cheers paul

clio 182
No its a standard car with an induction kit and scorpion exhust engian runs nice quiet and no leaks bazzzar and bar humbug lol

clio 182
Just spoke to a mate of mine how runs in race engines .he done my race bike .it has been carefully driven so the bores have glazed a bit .thats why he does engians on a dyno runs them up hard then shuts them of so the rings seat into the bores.that makes sense becaues the guy I bought it of treated the car like a baby .ho well I will have to drive it hard lol

Ph1
Sounds like a load of garbage to me.

Just keep a eye on it, if its continue to lose oil get a leak down test. Hell of a lot of oil to lose in one track day.

2003 172
My old 50k mile 182 used to use around 1litre/1k miles.
My current 172 with 100k+ on it uses none.

Both run really well.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Something was wrong with my first 182 as my back bumper would get covered in black spots. Think when I read up the likely culprit was valve stem seals. Ended up writing it off anyway lol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
My current one doesn't use any.

The engine I swapped out was a different story. 2.5ltrs in one track day. But that was because it was mapped poorly with the cam package and so had all kinds of problems as a result. They will use a bit, but shouldn't use as much as some people are 'happy' with in here.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
There was a big thing a while back about these coming from the outset with fully synthetic oil and needing a good spanking from day one to get the rings to properly bed in which of course many didn't.

Could have something to do with it.

My Cup hasn't had an easy life and I put in just a 1/4 litre after several hard track days. My Dad's 182 wasn't thirsty either.

Renault Clio182 bean
My 182 only needs a 1/2 litre top up maximum every 3-4 months which equates to around 4,000 miles, gets a bit of a beating aswell.

Ph1
There was a big thing a while back about these coming from the outset with fully synthetic oil and needing a good spanking from day one to get the rings to properly bed in which of course many didn't.

Could have something to do with it.

If it was so critical to run them in hard from new the forum archives would be full of people posting about oil consumption issues.
Can't say mine was ever driven particularly hard on a daily basis and certainly not from new and it never used to use a single drop of oil till it decided to drop a shell a few years back at 120 odd K's on the clock. Now after a rebuild it drinks oil for fun, with, like others have reported, no signs of where its disappearing to / from.

FF Clio 182
I use about a litre in just over a month. It gets driven hard and I do a lot of short trips so it burns I little more

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
If it was so critical to run them in hard from new the forum archives would be full of people posting about oil consumption issues.
Can't say mine was ever driven particularly hard on a daily basis and certainly not from new and it never used to use a single drop of oil till it decided to drop a shell a few years back at 120 odd K's on the clock. Now after a rebuild it drinks oil for fun, with, like others have reported, no signs of where its disappearing to / from.
It was more related to power outputs and was from threads back in the mid 2000's.

If the oil isn't leaking and isn't getting dumped into the breather system then it can only be getting past the rings. Which means either the engine wasn't built properly, there is a problem with the rings and/or bores, the rings aren't sealing due to not bedding in properly (there was a problem with Ford zetecsfor example having a special honing process that was difficult to replicate at a re-bore at the time which meant rebuilt engines weren't as wear resistant), the oil is not up to the job and gets too thin, the engine is running way too rich and is causing bore wash which on the old carb engines I used to tune was also a problem with lots of short journeys.

Manufacturers quote high oil consumption figures for the simple reason that every car will be run differently. My mum's zafira uses a lot of oil but doesn't smoke pulls well and returns the fuel consumption it should. Others report no issues with the same engine.

You either do a full compression and leakdown test on the engine to find the cause or live with it and keep chucking the oil in.

clio 182
thanks guys for your input,i have seen some oil traped in the inlet manafold,the belts and water pump and pully are going to be done next weak so i will get them to reseal the rocker covers,been out for a blat today 100miles and didnt use any, cheers paul