ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil advice and recommendations here

Evo
Make Renault
Model Clio 197
Year 2008
Engine size/type 2.0ltr

Any mods Uprated Cams, exhaust

Type of use (road/track) Mainly fast road, some track

Recommendation for engine oil please, currently running with std renault elf oil, thanks.

( hope this threads still running lol )

RSC 182 Cup
Well im running a 2008 197, i been told i need dot 4 low visc. for the ESP by a few peeps, but others say Castrol super dot 4 will be fine? :S

I bled mine two weeks ago and refilled with Castrol Super Dot4- no problems since whatsoever. Although I haven't tested out the ESP at all!:approve:

Mental 172 Cup
Make Renault
Model Clio 182
Year 2005
Engine size/type 2.0ltr

Any mods Decat, Matched Inlets
Type of use (road/track) Road/Fast Road

Recommendation for engine oil, filter, spark plugs please, currently running with std renault elf oil, am due a 36k service! anything else i may need thanks.

CLIO 172 PH1
Make Renault
Model Clio 172
Year 2001
Engine size/type 2.0ltr

Any mods Sebring back box
Type of use (road/track) Road/Fast Road

Is 5w-40 silkolene pro 4+ motorcycle oil suitable to use on my rs?? thx

It is indeed, it is basically the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40. Bike oils can also be used in cars no problem.

Cheers

Guy

Clio 172 Cup
Make: Renault
Model: Clio 182
Year: 2004 54
Engine size/type: 2.0 16v (182)
only use super unleaded or v power (usually from shell)

Any mods: no mods - yet!!! - standard - but may change exhaust for an aftermarket one soon + get the car remapped :)

Type of use (road/track): road only (fast road) :cry:

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used): dont know the current oil used as its a recent purchase, so looking to fully service the car.

What do you want a recommendation for?: engine oil, filter, and any other tips would be great. thank you!!! :eek:

clio sport 172
make. renault
model. clio 172
year. 2002
engine size. 2.0lt 16v 172
oil. 5w-40

im wantin to kno which oil u recomend mate...doin an oil change soon

thanks
craig

172 ph1
I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Simon

renault clio
mk2 ph1 172 sport

sure the oil is 5w 40 fully synth???
ive been using 10w 40 just wondering if thats ok? obviously not to mix the 2 but gona get it flushed and 5w40 in soon anyways....

but should i be using nearly a litre in 2000 miles?

'02 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Make Renault
Model Clio Dynamique
Year '02 reg 2002
Engine size/type 1.2 16v 88000 miles

Any mods None

Type of use (road/track) Road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Engine

I had look at your website , wanted to get some Fuchs 5w-40. I have noticed you have advised people with same car as me(clio 172) to get,

fuchs titan supersyn SL 5w-40 . but there is also a fuchs titan supersyn RN 5w-40 for renault. just wanted make sure get the right one. Is there any difference?

The RN is one that's made for the latest Renault specs, for the cars with long life servicing and a diesel particulate filter. The SL is the one you want

clio 1.9 SI DTI R.I.P
hi im getting a

1.2 dynamique
69k miles
will be running a induction kit full after market exhaust from manifold, will be hard road use

im looking to replace all the basics, oil, oil filter,fuel filter,gear box oil,spark plugs

what do you recommend for best out put

thanks

The oil doesn't really affect the output, sometimes you can gain a bhp or two by using a thinner oil, but for a road car, protection is more important

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

For the gearbox use an MTF such as the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

The filters we stock are what we consider normal oem spec filters, but they are good quality and have been compared with performance filters in tests

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-840-car-filters.aspx

1.2 Clio plugs can be tricky, some take one, some take another and there is not a definite reason why without knowing the engine model. Which one is yours?

Cheers

Tim

clio 172 luna speedl
sounds silly bit been told that runnin r888's and have probs with gettin oil to the top end. anyone ever heard this or im i gettin the p*&s taken out of me? thanks

Astra SRI/ Hornet
ive been using mobil 1,10 40 semi synthetic cos renault will have used semi synthetic and wasnt doing a change, would you recommend me changing to fully synthetic next sevice? advice on brand.

2005 182, 40k, mostly fast road driving. cheers kev.

ive been using mobil 1,10 40 semi synthetic cos renault will have used semi synthetic and wasnt doing a change, would you recommend me changing to fully synthetic next sevice? advice on brand.

2005 182, 40k, mostly fast road driving. cheers kev.

A 5w-40 synthetic will give you the best protection

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Nissan 200sx
Hi i was wondering if you could give me some advice on what engine oil and gearbox oil to choose for my clio 172 cup.
The car has an uprated exhaust and induction kit and will be used for urban driving and fast road use.

1.5dci
hi, just realised i've done 8600 miles in my car now, and just wondering do i need an oil changed soon, as i've read lots of different mileages for it to be done? it's the 1.5dci and i do v.short trips 5 days a week, and then a couple hundred miles most weekends (occasionally 600 mile trips too).
If so what oil, my dads offered me free 10w40 but probs isn't any particular brand it's just for tractors and 4x4's, would it be ok using this, or would i be better getting my wallet out and getting decent stuff?

also does anyone know if doing this myself is likely to mess-up my 1yr warrenty that's still on the car?

1.5dci
ah right, thanks, i'll put that in for the time being then. Was looking at ur site, and realised ur the same opie oils that all our fuel and oil and stuff comes from at home, we're farming in Stithians.
If i was to buy some other oil from you, plus i'll still need filters and stuff, do you have a shop or anything in redruth, (i seem to remember there was something of urs next to morrishes chippy)
Thanks

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
Renault
Clio
1.5 DCi (65)

No engine mods (K&N Panel Filter)
Road use
Currently using Mobil Super S Turbo Diesel 10W40

Ive been told that 10W40 is too thick for turbo bearings from someone/somewhere.

Recommend for both the engine and gearbox please

Ph1 172.
I need to top my gearbox oil up, as I have a small, continuous leak. Is it best to change all of the oil now or can I just top it up? If I can top it up what oil should I be using?