ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Off to look at a 172 Cup tomorrow

Clio 172 Cup
I'm off to see a 172 Cup tomorrow. I've flicked through the various buyers guides and I think I've got a reasonable idea of what to look for, but just wondering if anyone had any further tips?

Also, I wanted to see what people made of the price. The seller is asking £3k, which I'm aware is a lot for a 172, but from what I can see in the pics it appears to be in very good condition, it's got just 60,000 miles on the clock and the cambelt was done at K-Tec relatively recently.

In the last 2,000 miles or so it's said to have had: Exhaust replaced with a full OEM system, rear OEM discs, including bearings and pads, Brembo HC front discs and OEM pads. All the shocks have been replaced, as has the dogbone mount (with an upgraded part). Track rods and track rod ends all reasonably recent. HID headlight conversion, RS tuner and a recent steering wheel re-trim in good quality leather.

Oh, and it's got A/C (which I realise goes somewhat against the Cup ethic, but could come in handy for daily duties in the summer).

What do people think? Like I say, I'm aware it's not cheap, but it sounds like he's done all the potentially expensive jobs I might have to do otherwise.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
That's not cheap mate. You could get a 182 for that money.

It will need to be a very good one for that money. Wouldn't necessarily say a new oe exhaust is a good thing. They seem to rot to pieces eventually. I'd be looking at close to 2k for it. Good luck. Main thing is the belts, engine mounts, rear brakes(prone to seizing). Can't think of a great deal else other than the usual. Oh, check the sills for damage and I always like to know when the car last had the alignment done. Makes a big difference to these cars.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
If its mint then its worth the money. Clean cups with low mileage tend to go for around that price. I paid £2750 for mine with 49k on it

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
AdDaMan - surprised your hasn't sold. Looked at that ad when you put it up and it is pretty textbook. If you want a Cup, this is the one to buy. I want!

Clio 172 Cup
Not a lot of love for K-Tec then!

It's got a fresh MOT with no advisories, full service history and six months tax to answer one of the questions above. Not sure what tyres it's on.

I agree this does look a bit pricey, but I've not had much luck finding a clean one so far. At least this should give me an idea of what top end money buys.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Big money for a 172 as said could buy a 182 but if it's mint as you say and it's no problems could be worth a buy :)

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
If it's been looked after and it's the car you want then pay what you are willing to pay. People on here can advise you on the prices which they think are right but the market is all overt he place at the moment.

The way I see it is the difference between 2500 and 3000 is only 500 quid. I've wasted more than that on a car once I've bought it trying to get it up together. Heck I've wasted that on a weekend out with the guys!

I payed 2500 for my cup (which people said was 500 too much) but I knew the previous owners and the history. In my eyes it's saved me 500 already, having had a naff one before.

I suppose the point is that in the world of cars £500 isn't a lot of money, and do you consider it a waste if it's buying you exactly what you want? Not like many cars are a sound investment anyway. Some people lose 500 in depreciation in a matter of weeks/days.

Bought my 172 the other week, 86k miles with belts done at 67k, few issues but nothing major, cost me £1100

when looking I saw worse off 172's for twice that price, just make sure when you test drive them it feels how you want it too! dont let the seller try talk to you either, tell them to shut up as you will need to listen for sounds not them!

Clio 172 Cup
Well, I bought it ... for £2,250.

Wasn't a fan of the re-trimmed steering wheel so he's agreed to swap it back to the original (in decent condition). The tyres aren't in their first flush of youth either, but everything else feels suitably fresh and it goes well. Ultimately I think I paid about the right amount given the mileage and the recent work.

Set to go back and collect it next weekend. :)