ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OEM spec brakes on track. Anyone done it without issues?

BG PH1 Megane 225
Evening all,

I've got my first track day at Donington coming up soon and I'm a bit worried as to whether my current brake set up is going to handle a full day of punishment. I've currently got OEM spec Ferodo pads up front with Brembo HC discs and Mintex rear pads with standard rear discs. I've changed the brake fluid within the past year (maybe a little more) too.

I'm just after peoples thoughts and experiences with OEM spec brake setups on track and whether I'd be best to take the plunge and buy some better pads, braided lines and fresh fluid?

Basically, am I going ruin my track day due to my brakes not being up to the task?

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated! :)

Impreza Wagon
You should be fine, I did 1 1/2 laps of the ring before my motor factors discs and pads died. Oh and my fluids not been changed for years!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I killed my standard brakes by 10am.

Waste of time on track.

(I have no idea what they were, they were on the car when I got it)

Clio 172
For me I want total confidence on a track that when I hit the brake pedal the car will stop, for the clio's first track day it got fresh fluid, braided lines and carbotech pads up front with brembo hc discs and I think mintex pads on the rear. Worked all day long no fade.

Lotus Elise
Should be fine as long as you do short stints on track and let them cool down properly. Gentle gradual braking, avoid late hard braking bare in mind the peddle will go soft with a long travel. No heroics and they will last the day.

I did donny on stand Renault stuff only fell off once due to lack of brakes but I was chasing ITB'd cup and was on R888s.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Which grade of ferodo pads are they? If they are DS2500's then they will be fine but I would be wary of using standard pads on track.

Should be fine as long as you do short stints on track and let them cool down properly. Gentle gradual braking, avoid late hard braking bare in mind the peddle will go soft with a long travel. No heroics and they will last the day.

I did donny on stand Renault stuff only fell off once due to lack of brakes but I was chasing ITB'd cup and was on R888s.

Seriously? On the cheap off-the-shelf ferodos?
They're like cheese lol

SQ5
I did two laps of the Nurburgring, admittedly not at full pace, but my brand new standards were fine.

I managed my first ever track day at Bedford on standard stuff. Don't try to be a hero or go full out and you'll be OK. Keep the sessions small and allow a cool down lap and time off track for cooling.

If you want to really push the car and do hard last minute braking then you need decent stuff. Otherwise you'll cook them after a couple of sessions. That's the last thing you want in a hard corner heading up towards someone's' back side!!

BG PH1 Megane 225
Fairly mixed feelings then. I'm certainly not going to be driving like a hero as my car is also my daily driver. I might just take my car and see how I get on and if I feel the car needs better brakes I'll upgrade them as I would like to do more track days next year too.

Will getting braided lines and fresh fluid make any difference with my current pads?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Done days on standard genuine, standard Pagid OE spec, and various others. Learn to not over-use the brakes and they last quite well if they're well maintained and fairly new. That said, upgrading can give you more confidence and help you go faster and often at that point you'll start using them less because you're confident they'll work when you need them

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've had days ruined in the past where my brakes have not been up to scratch.

Now, I realise I was always trying too hard so they were never going to cope.

Drive for fun and to learn, and standard brakes should be fine.

Go out there thinking you are a driving god about to set lap records and you'll be disappointed.