ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nut and bolt finishing

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
sorry if its in the wrong section but im not sure where this would be best suited

im rebuilding an engine and car basically and im tarting up the enigne bay. ive spent a fortune powdercoating bits and peices but i only have these rusty old nuts and biolts to put back, ruining the look and making me unhappy lol

so ive soaked these nuts and bolts in vinegar to get the rust off but it wont be long untill theyre back to the same old crusty orange colour. i want to stop this by coating these nuts and bolts with a protective coating (like galvanising) but i cant afford to send these nuts and bolts off to a company to get them polarised or annodised so im looking for something i can do myself.

can anyone help?

RS6 C7
i can put them in the next lot of plating at work if you want, Would be coated in js500 which is one of the most resistant coatings. . Let me know. I would say it would be a week or 2 though if thats ok?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
thats tempting! the only issue i can see with that is if i send a job lot off to you and then realise ive missed a few its going to be a right ballache and watse of money to send a handfull thats left. this was the primary reason for me wanting something diy that i could do in my garage

and the problem with buying new is its going to cost a fortune for the amount i need and again same problem, what if i miss a few etc.

RS6 C7
Well i go to the platers pretty much most weeks and we only use js500 or zn3 +clear. They both come back in silver. If you want other finishes i can get it done but its not cheap as i cant just mix the stuff in with other work that is been coated.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
how expensive? lol id be willing to pay a bit for the ease of doing it at my convenience. would love to be able to send the lot off and sort it but i dont think its a viable option :(

RS6 C7
I think you can get nickel plating kits for £60-100 but im not sure how good the finish would be, Cant you paint them?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
when you paint them you ruin the paint when you use spanners on them lol p-lus you cant paint the threads and im thinking of protecting the whole bolt rather than just the outside.

ill look at nickel coating. i did find something the other week that turned them black after leaving them in a solution for a few minuites. something by a company in california but i cant remember and a google search hasnt yeilded much

RS 182 CUP
just looked and some nice shiny things came up, and some duller nuts and bolts, if i polish it will it give a nice shine? sorry for all the questions

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Sorry to Hijack,

Cotball, can you get them dipped, so all contaminates removed, then plated? is it the same price as above?