ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non HD TV

172 cup
I'm convinced standard broadcasts are being made deliberately worse quality to encourage us to buy HD packages. I thought it watching the GP last weekend and watching the football now it seems even more apparent.

Is it just me?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it might be that the bitrate has been reduced on non-hd channels to allow room for hd channels on the same transponder.

Last edited:

OneTime_

ClioSport Club Member
  '65 BMW F31 330d
Have to agree...they lower the quality on non HD to encourage you to spend more on upgrading to HD, in my opinion.

172 cup
Can you not see the difference between SD and HD?
Yeah that's part of the point, im aware of the difference when watching between them. My issue here is I believe certain broadcasts are even worse than tr SD we are used to to try a encourage our participation in HD... Maybe I should just put my foil hat back on

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Millerdom is not reading the thread before posting...

He is watching via satellite!!!

The SD feed to me seems fine. It is worth noting that fast paced things like football will be less clear than a slow paced drama as the compression is less effective. This is also highlighted more with HD tv panels.

No such thing as "Area" with Satellite.

Your sky box will select what area you view like,
BBC london
BBC Yorks
ITV GRanada
ITV Yorkshire
and so on.........

The reason I ask is that some transponders depending on what area you're in share the same transponder with the HD channel.

(E.G). ITV1 Wales shares the same transponder (44) which can in turn effect the Bitrate mode as SD channels can be varied to allow the HD Bitrate higher. You won't notice this as much when watching non-live transmitions. Which explains when it is live sport it the comparison is much greater.

Bumder With A Buffer
ITV1 wales is just on another frequency on the same satellite.

I was under the impression Sky boxes knew what area you were in by the postcode stamp in your viewing card (there was an issue with people not getting the righy channels back in the day as they used the incorrect postcodes).

Anyone can add ITV wales on just by going into the setup and adding the channel.

No single channel (I.E ITV1 Wales) is a frequency. A frequency on digital satellite is called a transponder and carries numerous channels. Similar to freeview, one frequency is called a multiplex that carried numerous channels also. Each multiplex carry similar broadcasting channels like bbc. So for example when you tune your freeview box/tv channels come in blocks, this explains why the list when you're tuning comes up with BBC channels in one block them itv in another block.

Bumder With A Buffer
I wasn't saying just ITV wales was just on a frequency BTW. Just used that as an example.

It's been a few years since my install days.

182 Full of Fat
This thread has just made me realise I've not watched an SD broadcast for prob going on for 6/7 months.
My eyes die a little everytime I see that quality!

Sorry apologies, I did read your post wrong.

Im not saying for one minute this is definitely the OP's problem because there are alot of other issues it could be. All I'm saying as from a transmition point of view is that his SD and HD ITV1 is being used on the same transponder depending on what his location is.

But me knowing and working with sky over the years, they maybe making SD look really crap to make people opt for the HD pack IMO obviosly :p

Bumder With A Buffer
Installer I take it? I was an old analogue guy and did a load of the NEW DIGITAL installs in about 99 I think (put that in bold as i remember posters everywhere about it). People think I'm mad that i can remember the position of astra1. We had to look for the "CROWN" (as my boss called it) on the scope. I was an Aerial fitter scared of heights :eek: so I got lumbered with all the sky installs. Ahhh those were the days!

I personally don't have sky but last time I was round my rents the freebies picture on itv1 was better then the sky feed.

Yeah I've been in the industry for going on 12 year. From installing single aerials/dishes to IRS,SMATV, along with CCTV and door entry. But most of my experience has been with large communal systems. But moving on with the times most big systems will be over IP, it's good being in a job that changes as i like learning new things and also keeps me interested.

Bumder With A Buffer
If I wasn't scared of heights I would of carried on in the aerial/satellite industry I reckon.
If and when my current company goes tits up I thought about getting into CCTV installs.

RS6 C7
I find alot of non HD channels on SKY are shocking quality, I tend to only watch the HD stuff as the rest is just painful to watch.

Our other tv's all have freeview but i find that i can watch standard definition through those. Maybe it's just sky that seem to have some shocking non hd quality.

Yeah a head for heights does help :approve:

CCTV is quite easy to install TBH. Company I work for are gettig more and more CCTV work as most of the equipment is coming down on price quite alot, which inturn makes the overall cost of installing a complete system alot cheaper than used to.

Bumder With A Buffer
Going back to the op...what type/model of tv do you have? Also what type of sky box.

I believe I'm right on saying on the sky HD boxes they do the upscaling themselves on both SD and HD "channels". You can change that though I think to not upscale the SD channels.

Also make sure that on your tv settings that the sharpness is not turned up, you want it at about a quarter of the way up

172 cup
Going back to the op...what type/model of tv do you have? Also what type of sky box.

I believe I'm right on saying on the sky HD boxes they do the upscaling themselves on both SD and HD "channels". You can change that though I think to not upscale the SD channels.

50" LED Samsung, HD sky box.

Ive tried adjusting sharpness etc it doesn't improve it at all.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Some tv's especially big ones are just s**t with SD content. There's nothing you can do.