ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noisey tappets on a 172

172 ph2
Recently noticed that from cold its started to knock and tapp, im assuming this means i need to change the oil as it is rather black..Had no noise from engine until about a week ago..

Evo
I doubt fresh oil will silence the tappy engine.

Lotsa threads on here from concerned owners over their tappy engines, all renaults do them.

Asked a mechanic at a renault dealer, apparently something to do with piston slap on engine design...

172 ph2
ok mate thanks, i had a similar issue on my valver and oil did help but with this being a different enginer il go to a garage...4 got to say when the car is warm the noise stops

Evo
I think they're hydraulic self adjusting cam followers on the 172 anyway...

So if they are making noise could be expensive mate.

ibiza cupra
the tappets on the 172`s are hydrolic lifters that run off the oil. if you have a low oil pressure then i think this could affect them as they would not be filling with oil. also if they are sticking then this could affect them too. i would firstly try flushing the engine out with some decent engine flush then putting some fresh oil in it. then if that dont work try the oil pressure route. if its not them and the lifters need doing then it may start getting expencive.

Vw caddy tdi
Proberley the rear cam/dephaser pully knocking slightly especially on cold idle. Not many people change when doing cam belt and sounds very similar.

ibiza cupra
does it sound like a diesel on idle but go away at about 1200 revs? if so then it could well be your dephaser pulley. ive just had to have these done on mine and that wasnt cheap either as its a new cambelt and aux belt too.