ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise after Timing belt replacement Clio 182

RS 182 Cup
I have just replaced the timing belt, tensioners, dephaser etc with the gates kit on my clio 182. I used all correct tools, both ends of cams, and very carefully tensioned and timed the engine. All rotated perfectly - I was very happy with myself.
When I started the engine I noticed a slight squeak at idle - it is not noticeable at higher revs. I took it for a quick spin but the noise is still there. I have now taken the upper cover back off the engine and I notice that the outside edge of the belt has threads starting to appear. I have read else where on this forum that the tensioner can give trouble and hit its stops, fred raised this before. The belt sits on all pulleys correctly. Would the signs I mentioned be an over tight belt and if so would a re tension cure? - just when I was please with myself!
I must add that as mentioned I have all relevant timing tools and a good tool kit having done many belts and large engine maintenance jobs in the past on all my cars. I also took a number of weeks to complete doing a little at a time and referencing a number of guides - just to be clear!

Thanks.

It would be great if someone would reply to this obviously intelligent post. If the outside edge has threads I expect it's worn though for some reason. Can't help more but obviously that isn't good.

Clio 182
Are the covers located right mate. It could be the lower plastic cover is rubbing on the belt. I would remove the covers to check.

RS 182 Cup
Thanks for reply, I had a look at the lower cover and there appears to be a little rubbing there and judging from the wear marks it has been doing it before my change. I gave the lower bolt a little washer on the engine side to make the differance and that should sort that -it was only very slight.
In relation to the noise, see the link below. I double checked the tensioner and everything else while in there.
Is this normal for a new belt/normal 182 or am I now just hearing noises that are always there! The noise appears to be coming from the crank pulley wheel area. Should I just button it up and drive!!?

Video:

Renault Clio 2003
Thanks for reply, I had a look at the lower cover and there appears to be a little rubbing there and judging from the wear marks it has been doing it before my change. I gave the lower bolt a little washer on the engine side to make the differance and that should sort that -it was only very slight.
In relation to the noise, see the link below. I double checked the tensioner and everything else while in there.
Is this normal for a new belt/normal 182 or am I now just hearing noises that are always there! The noise appears to be coming from the crank pulley wheel area. Should I just button it up and drive!!?

Video:

Just to let you know that the video does not work. You have probably set it as PRIVATE on youtube.

RS 182 Cup
That sounds like it's to tightly tensioned .

I stripped it back down to check this initially and the tensioner was working within its range and in line with marks. The noise appears to be coming from lower down near the crank. Would the new aux belt and tensioner fitted have anything to do with it?

172 Ph1
Would the new aux belt and tensioner fitted have anything to do with it?

No it wouldn't have any affect on that noise because that is deff a to tight a belt .

Follow this procedure if it helps , make sure the tensioner is rotated the correct way .
de931352808804ecf5eaa603525435a3.jpg

a1938b25eca2aeabff9d42939432ff20.jpg

Last edited:
  '10 Clio200
My 182 has been doing exactly that noise for more than 40k miles... If someone knows what it is I would really appreciate, but it seems to be nothing important as the car has been running fine for so long.

172 Ph1
My 182 has been doing exactly that noise for more than 40k miles... If someone knows what it is I would really appreciate, but it seems to be nothing important as the car has been running fine for so long.

40k , seriously . I wouldn't accept 40s of that noise . If all pulleys are replaced at time of belt change , then those can be ruled out as being nosey . If expect that noise to be arriving after 40k and it being a pulley at fault .
It is deff a tensioning issue . Are you using a genuine Renault kit ?
If not the belt maybe slightly shorter by a fraction (due to manufacture differ across belts) and that'll be to tight at the correct marking point of the tensioner .
When I have done mine , I always run the engine after to double check for that to tight noise just to be sure it's not there after putting it all back together . I guess I've done a few to learn the hard way .

RS 182 Cup
I followed the precedure as per renault instructions , and above. I rechecked and studies as the engine was running afterwards - tensioner working within its range. I even adjusted the tensioner with a little less tension to see would it make a difference - it didnt.
I used a gates kit. Renault uses the same gates belt so I do see how there can be an difference in length etc.
The sound is comming from the lower crank end.

172 Ph1
Are all your pulleys clean and snag free on where it meets the belt ?
Also before you stripped it , did you run it without the six belt on ? Just to rule that load on the crank pulley out

'10 Clio200
40k , seriously . I wouldn't accept 40s of that noise . If all pulleys are replaced at time of belt change , then those can be ruled out as being nosey . If expect that noise to be arriving after 40k and it being a pulley at fault .
It is deff a tensioning issue . Are you using a genuine Renault kit ?
If not the belt maybe slightly shorter by a fraction (due to manufacture differ across belts) and that'll be to tight at the correct marking point of the tensioner .
When I have done mine , I always run the engine after to double check for that to tight noise just to be sure it's not there after putting it all back together . I guess I've done a few to learn the hard way .
previous owner had belts done before I purchased the car and I don't think they were Renault geniune... anyways, the car is now having belts, water pump and many things done; will give some feedback ;)

'10 Clio200
previous owner had belts done before I purchased the car and I don't think they were Renault geniune... anyways, the car is now having belts, water pump and many things done; will give some feedback :wink:

So, feedback: this week I've had many things done to the 182. The noise is gone. I changed belts, water pump and dephaser.