ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No drive in any gear??!

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Clio 65, 102k, no previous clutch slip or dramas, no gearbox problems.

Driving through town, changed down for a mini-roundabout - no drive on the way out, like it was in neutral?? No noises, bangs, grinding noises etc?

Glided to a halt, gearchange linkage still in place, clutch cable good, good springy clutch feel - still no drive in any gear?

Phoned breakdown, AA arrived & said possible clutch problems, clutch release bearing noisy - got towed home.

Any ideas?? Been quoted £500 - 650 for a new clutch & labour, clutch out is thankfully only a gearbox-out job but still 7 hours labour...
icon_cry.gif

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Stripped off the n/s driveshaft, the engine has indeed spat out its sun gear & circlip etc... :eek:

Cheaper than a new clutch I suppose... will get pics up asap, new circlip & washer on order, here Tues - £6 the pair? Driveshaft has been off before so might be the second time...

Looking at an alternative retention method.

http://clio16valver.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36191

Yes do the above Don't get it welded back in. I have had the bolt in plate before and it works a treat! If you can source a long enough drill bit there's no need to take the box out just remove the driveshaft

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Indeed! Waiting for the new washer & circlip to turn up, will fabricate a retention ring to keep the new one in there - not keen on reassembly as standard for it to grenade 10 miles later... ;)

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
SORTED! :)

Heres the link for the French plate which replaces the circlip & washer as well - joyous as it is he didnt have any stock and wouldnt for the next ten days...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gearbox-r...arParts_SM&hash=item20c11a8c4a#ht_2162wt_1165

Decided to make my own...

Ordered two each of the washers and circlips, special order coming to £12 all in?

Found my washer & circlip nesting in the n/s boot...
DSC06301.jpg

A quick measure up gave me an I/D of 70mm, an O/D of 95mm and at least 4 mounting holes needed - M6 bolts centres 5mm in from the O/D? There was also a 4.5mm gap to fill in inbetween where the circlip sits and the plate - the thrust washers are 1.75mm thick, giving 3.5mm depth for two, meaning I had to fab another shim washer out of 1mm steel plate to give me the total shim pack of 4.5mm.

DSC06286.jpg

Swiped a suitable 4mm thick piece of plate out of the scrap bin at work:

DSC06288.jpg

Removed the L-shaped bit and marked out the ring, 3mm pilot holes for the 6mm bolt holes:

DSC06289.jpg

Finished - one of the holes sat over the recess for the lug on the circlip/tab washer so I didnt drill that one...

DSC06291.jpg

Access to said diff is understandably limited. ;)

DSC06290.jpg

I removed the bar in the middle right of the pic but nevertheless got extremely acquainted with the inside of the N/S wheelarch.

DSC06292.jpg

Tape from the inside out in layers to prevent any swarf dropping into the gearbox, mark & drill all mounting holes for tapping. Hoover the worst of the swarf out then have a delve round with a magnet stick. The diff itself is cast iron & drilled ok with normal drills?

You have the bump the diff round to do the far holes as it sits in an eccentric? Pop the car in second gear and nudge it round on the starter until you have access.

Driveshaft back in, hub, caliper, oil, disc etc - and drives a treat!

Result. :D

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Cheers! Saved me pulling the gearbox & getting another anyways.... :cool:

Just confused by why they had such a fragile arrangement anyways??

This is the Renault bolted arrangement, cant remember which box?

DSC04534.jpg

My clutch will be next - think the release bearing will give before the friction plate? Not doing bad for 102k tho...

What mileage have these gone for on a dci??

Nice work! the 182 box has the bolt in diff.
I had a box rebuilt, drove 8k miles and the same thing happened to me, just sat in my shed now as I had a spare box. Might do this if I can man up enough to drill holes in my gearbox lol

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Re: No drive in any gear??! (circlip...)

Nice work! the 182 box has the bolt in diff.
I had a box rebuilt, drove 8k miles and the same thing happened to me, just sat in my shed now as I had a spare box. Might do this if I can man up enough to drill holes in my gearbox lol

Lol its not easy! I am working 6-2pm so am up at 5 each morning then fighting available daylight to try and get all the work done?

I would go with the french plate - replaces the circlip and washer, plus it would have been easier to mark the holes out? Saved me writing off a perfectly good box tho. :D

Would have been a LOT easier if the box was out? I do not recommend anyone just fitting another box, you would then be driving round waiting for it to pop the clip out. Not good.

It will fit as far as bolting it on. you should be able to find out the ratios of a jb3 in a haynes, and someone on here will know the ratios of a 182 box - cant see them being that much different though tbh

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
JB3/JC5 are essential the same casings. The JB3 uses spherical bearings in the differential where as the JC5 uses tapered roller units which handle the load better.

They both fit any F-series block

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Thanks! :)
I understand there to be further changes in the speedo drive/starter motor position in these boxes, was revised in earlier & later models?

Will have a delve in my haynes for the ratios, cheers!

Car has done nearly 103k so a clutch is on the cards anyways, wondering if I should fit a good low-mileage box at the same time... :S

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
dCi Ratios:

1 - 3.4:1
2 - 1.9:1
3 - 1.3:1
4 - 1.0:1
5 - 0.8:1
R - 3.6:1

Anyone tell me a 182's box ratios please? :)