ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No claims

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
hypothetical situation that I realise I may have put myself in here.

Car A is insured by person A, with 10 years no claims
Car B is insured by person A, with no no claims applied
Car C is insured by person A, with mirrored no claims from Car A.

If person A were to have an accident in car B or C what would happen to the no claims on Car A?

SQ5
Correct, as when asked if you've made a claim you will have so wouldn't have any "no claim" bonus available to you

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
It doesn't matter who they're insured by as such, the no claims information etc is all stored on the same system if you like.
They probably don't want you reusing the no-claims on several policies to cut down fraud, or something like that.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
so basically if i have an accident in any car im shafted on all of them?
yet i cant use any ncb ive gained on 1 car on all of them?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
such a con!
never protected my no claims after advice from a relative who works in insurance but im starting to think it may be worth it now

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah but it seems a con that you cant use it on all of your cars (being as you earned it) but you can lose it on all cars if you have an accident in one.

if no claims is on the car then fair enough, but you shouldnt lose it on all cars
if its against the person then it should apply to all cars but be lost if you do claim

meh, ill sort it out on renewal lol

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It's unlikely you will lose all your NCD. Check the small print of your poilicy. I know mine contains a table that shows how many years NCD I lose dependning on the number of fault claims I have. I'm fairly certain that I would only lose 2 of my 10 years if I were to have a fault claim this year, and that's without protection.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
This is what my policy states...

Screenshot_2015-06-15-09-07-28.png

Ford Mustang 5.0
hypothetical situation that I realise I may have put myself in here.

Car A is insured by person A, with 10 years no claims
Car B is insured by person A, with no no claims applied
Car C is insured by person A, with mirrored no claims from Car A.

If person A were to have an accident in car B or C what would happen to the no claims on Car A?

If you crashed car B or C it would not affect the NCB on Car A as they under seperate policies. The NCB is on the policy rather than the person. If you had them all under one policy then the Claim/NCB loss would likely affect each vehicle.
When we do 2nd car/mirrored NCB policies they are always under a seperate Policy number for this reason so that it wont affect the NCB on your main car....Plus the Mirrored Car would earn its own NCB over time as well if its under a seperate Policy.

One thing to bear in mind if you have a fault/non recoverable claim on your record you normally cannot get a mirroed NCB so Car C price may increase.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yes definately. Its like if you had an accident while driving as a named driver on partners policy, you as the driver have to declare the claim
I'm slightly confused so if you could explain that would be cool.

Say for example OP crashes car B and claims (even though it's a different policy number).

He then goes to insure car A again 6 months later, he would have to tick the "Have you had a claim in the last 5 years" and surely he would have to put yes which would in turn kill off his NCB?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'm slightly confused so if you could explain that would be cool.

Say for example OP crashes car B and claims (even though it's a different policy number).

He then goes to insure car A again 6 months later, he would have to tick the "Have you had a claim in the last 5 years" and surely he would have to put yes which would in turn kill off his NCB?

It doesn't automatically kill off the NCD though, that's what you are missing.

You can have a claim AND have 10 years NCD

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
It doesn't automatically kill off the NCD though, that's what you are missing.

You can have a claim AND have 10 years NCD
Maybe because it's Monday but that confuses me to no end. NCB - No Claims Bonus, but you can claim? I understand you can protect them but OP isn't protected. I don't know, Insurance Sales is definitely not my forte.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If you crashed car B or C it would not affect the NCB on Car A as they under seperate policies. The NCB is on the policy rather than the person. If you had them all under one policy then the Claim/NCB loss would likely affect each vehicle.
When we do 2nd car/mirrored NCB policies they are always under a seperate Policy number for this reason so that it wont affect the NCB on your main car....Plus the Mirrored Car would earn its own NCB over time as well if its under a seperate Policy.

One thing to bear in mind if you have a fault/non recoverable claim on your record you normally cannot get a mirroed NCB so Car C price may increase.
That makes a bit more sense to me. Thank you.

Only struck me after seeing a mate have an accident this weekend on his second car I wondered if it would c**k up his other car as I'm in a very similar situation

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Maybe because it's Monday but that confuses me to no end. NCB - No Claims Bonus, but you can claim? I understand you can protect them but OP isn't protected. I don't know, Insurance Sales is definitely not my forte.

When I claimed last year, I had 3 but can't protect less than 4 so I lost 2 and they let me keep 1. They said it was at the underwriters discretion on whether I lost them all or got to keep 1. Either way I was pleased not to lose all of them.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
When I claimed last year, I had 3 but can't protect less than 4 so I lost 2 and they let me keep 1. They said it was at the underwriters discretion on whether I lost them all or got to keep 1. Either way I was pleased not to lose all of them.
Is it 4 years across the board or does it depend entirely on insurer?
Would love to protect mine but only have 3 years at the minute.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Is it 4 years across the board or does it depend entirely on insurer?
Would love to protect mine but only have 3 years at the minute.
Depends on insurer only a handful offer proctected NCB on 4yrs. Normally its 5yrs or more.
Ive seen some insurers offer protected NCB on any number of years (even 1yr) but the quotes can be very high.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've heard of insurers not honouring protected ncb after claims have been declared.

And I completely wouldn't put it past some companies to do it.

/cynical.

@Neil@greenlight. You'll probably be getting a phone call in the next few months to see if you can get me away from admiral lol :D

Clio 4 RS cup
such a con!
never protected my no claims after advice from a relative who works in insurance but im starting to think it may be worth it now
Ahhhhhh The thorny question of " protect or not to protect"
Depending on how old you are the extra premium charged will vary. BUT is it a rip off.
The insurance company will tell you that's it's a good thing, what they will not tell you is that if you
have a fault or no fault accident the premium can increase, in fact most times it WILL increase.
So as an example, your insurance premium is £1000 less 70% ncb means you pay £300 but during
the course of the year you have a no fault accident at renewal they will ask for approx. £360. You
have paid something like £30 for protected ncb but the insurers will tell you that you still have your 70% however the premium has increased because you have been involved in an accident. The fact that the accident was not your fault means nothing.

Sooooooo what can you do? If you are the innocent party in any accident you are entitled to claim
from the third party and you should not be out of pocket.
Therefore at the time of the claim you need to ask your insurance company how much they are going to add to your premium not just for the following year but also for the 2 or 3 years following.
Then claim this from the third party insurance.