ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No brakes in the wet...

Clio 172 ph1
Now, I've had a fair few cars in my time, and I've had a few with naff brakes, but my 172 confuses me!

Normally, the brakes are spot on - stood it on its nose a few times after driving my other car! - but when it's raining the pedal sometimes goes pracically to the floor before anything happens, had a few brown trouser moments on rainy commutes.

What on earth would cause that?! :S

My last car had multiple leaks in the braking system which meant every few weeks the pedal gradually lost effect until it was on the floor and needed constant bleeding until we found all the leaks!

But this one literally just loses its brilliantness in the wet, and is fine again once it's dry. If I use the brakes alot in the wet they improve too. It's like there's water on the brakes stopping the friction and once they're dry they improve... But I've never had a car do that before! s**t discs? Freak of nature? Can anyone point out the obvious to me? :(

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Crappy pads.

Had this on my old Clio ! F**king heart stopping at times... such as a motorway suddenly coming to a stop.. :dead: and as you say, only in the wet.

Get some DS2500s on there, and new discs while you're at it !

Clio 172 ph1
Thanks for the replies, new pads the most likely fix then?

Given the frequent moistness of England I get an annoyingly regular fright!

Clio 182FF
I'm experiencing this too, but my mechanic friend said I only have a few thousand miles left on my pads and could do with fresh discs. Currently looking for an upgrade - was thinking trying out the KTR discs with DS2500 pads.