ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No ariel in bedroom - Solutions?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello :)

I'm renting a property at the minute, and I've copped for the room which does not have an ariel port. If it wasn't a fortune and the landlord agreed I'd have one installed, but initial quotes are £150 and the landlord won't let me.

I could pay £60 + £10 a month to have the sky in my room, as apparently you only need a phone socket, which I have.

What are my other options? I do t want to be buying one of these £10 portable ariel things because they never get signal.

Does anyone know of a decent solution?

TIA :)

172 Cup
I'm guessing you have an attic above the bedroom?

what about buying an aerial from maplin's or electrical store & fixing it in the attic then drop a cable down into the room.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'm guessing you have an attic above the bedroom?

what about buying an aerial from maplin's or electrical store & fixing it in the attic then drop a cable down into the room.

No it's a 3 story town house :( there's another bedroom above me. I also wouldn't want to start drilling through floors etc and I wouldn't want to run the wire down the stairs as it would look a state.

A couple of years back I used a plug-in ariel booster and a standalone ariel that also had a booster thing built in - one of the flat, A4 sized ones.

It worked fine. So long as I never, ever moved.

I'd just get multiroom if I was that bothered tbh.

306 GTI-6
Tbf, get the sky, as i presume you may already be paying towards the subscription anyway?

£10 a month isnt bad at all x

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Tbf, get the sky, as i presume you may already be paying towards the subscription anyway?

£10 a month isnt bad at all x

Our sky ATM is ~£90 p/m as we have pretty much everything TV wise. It's the £60 installation and the £10 extra a month that's putting me off. I'm only gonna be here a year or two so its not major but i would rather put that money toward a holiday.

Seems there's not really an easy solution, as I originally thought.

Nvm! :(

306 GTI-6
Tbf, £10 a month is nothing.

£2.50 a week. You can save that by just walking a few short journeys instead of driving.

Nothing is free, and you would need a digital aerial now too if you tried one in the room.

Bumder With A Buffer
Your certain there isnt an aerial point in that bedroom??

Usually when they build a new house every bedroom/lounge/kitchen has an aerial point put in. Or I suppose its possible they only ran 4 points but the norm is about 6 in a 3 storey townhouse.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Your certain there isnt an aerial point in that bedroom??

Usually when they build a new house every bedroom/lounge/kitchen has an aerial point put in. Or I suppose its possible they only ran 4 points but the norm is about 6 in a 3 storey townhouse.

You're making me doubt now lol. Ill double check!

Bumder With A Buffer
Most townhouses I used to install on were setout like this...(aerial points in brackets)

Ground floor...kitchen/dining room/toilet (one point possibly2)
Second floor....Bedroom/bathroom/upstairs lounge (2 points)
Top floor...Bedroom with ensuite/bedroom (2 points)

How about TV Catchup? If you've got an Apple TV or iPhone/iPad you can just stream it to the TV without needing to faff about.

If no Apple TV, just hook your laptop/pc upto your tv

306 GTI-6
I dont think he wants to do that for aesthetics.

Does work though, ne and old housemate ran one from living room then splitter. Worked a treat.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
How about TV Catchup? If you've got an Apple TV or iPhone/iPad you can just stream it to the TV without needing to faff about.

If no Apple TV, just hook your laptop/pc upto your tv

Yeh but our broadband is only 6 mb and it's not great at streaming tbh. I do use my ps3 for this but i have to leave it to buffer a little bit!

That looks alright, will this involve me having to climb up onto the roof then. I need to look at what a splitter is.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Up to you, just get 2 and run cable to the nearest coax point, downstairs would probably be safer.

Easy peasy. But not the most elegant solution.

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3
surely you need a satellite point for multiroom? (and a phone socket). If the landlord won't let you put an aerial in, i doubt he'd be too chuffed at you having a sky "engineer" installing satellite cables into the room.

I think I'd try a portable aerial first and see how it works, you can always take it back for a refund.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I can use tv catch up on my 1.5 mb connection with little to no buffering so would expect your 6mb line would be ok?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I don't think speed is the issue tbh I think it's more my PS3 location in relation to my router.

133/225/CLS AMG
We opted for a Freeview HD box and a powered aerial which seems to work quite well.

The aerial is actually just a black square panel rather than the usual big long telescopic things you can get or the white ring types. Does quite nicely for a bit of TV in the bedroom anyway.

DCi
My missus ain't got a socket and uses this thing. It's fine for freeview

dugy7eqa.jpg