ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D90 VR

Clio
Always wanted a dSLR so i decided to get myself a Nikon D90, I know nothing about Camaras let alone a dSLR.
I have taken a few pictures, now im trying to put them on the computer, however i cant open the files as they are .NEF.

How can i change the file type?

Cheers.

For a start its D90, not D90 VR.

It will be in the setting somewhere, on the camera.

You'll need photoshop to open those files as it's shooting in RAW.

Clio
Oh ok thanks, didnt think to look on the camera, will the images look just as detailed if they are jpeg?

Wow, d90 as a beginners camera, what made you get a d90? Awesome camera, it will take a while getting used to all the settings. Just play about with them a lot.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Photoshop elements is what you need, even better is Lightroom 2. Lightroom is amazing and does everything photoshop does in a easier layout.

Photoshop and Lightroom will have to have the latest updates to open the D90 raw's as there a new file type with it being a new camera.

Ignore the comments about the D90 not being an entry level camera, it's easy to work with. Just learn what A, S, P and M do and shoot away. Excellent camera, I have one :D. Want any tips / help feel free to PM me.

Ben

Clio
Cheers for the help peeps, found out my dad has photoshop on his laptop, is it possible to copy the programme then put it on mine? If not then I'll have a look at these free tials or get one of those cheaper makes.
I don't understand any of the buttons on it yet, but pointing and shooting comes out alright. Might get another lens as I was taking a pic of the inside of a flower and it can't focus and won't take the picture. I think i have a 18-105 lens? What lens do I need to get good detail on smaller things like bugs?

Cheers.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Macro lens, there pretty expensive. No photoshop wont work that way.

Get lightroom, better than photoshop for editing.

Read the manual for the camera, you will learn so much.