ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D50 DSLR - Long Exposures

Recaro Black Gold 182
Right, been messing about with this again tonight, used the tripod as to reduce any of the blurring, i'm pleased with the results, enjoy...

DSC_0069.gif

DSC_0068.gif

DSC_0067.gif

DSC_0066.gif

DSC_0065.gif

DSC_0063.gif

DSC_0062.gif

DSC_0061.gif

DSC_0060.gif

DSC_0059.gif

DSC_0058.gif

DSC_0057.gif

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
technology chat ;)

P.S. Tripod must have been quite unstable (or were you not using the timer?)

Great pics. If you don't mind me being a bit critical, it looks like the camera moved a bit during most of them so you may want to weigh the tripod down with your bag or something if you can, should improve the results no end if you can really keep it perfectly still. Also switch on the timer (3 seconds will do) so you can let it settle after hitting the shutter. Where are you based btw? Looks like a good spot, I've been keeping my eye out for a bend in a road with a bridge nearby for ages!

Best tip I ever got for this sort of thing was to take a small bit of black card along, then when there is a break in traffic you can cover the lens and wait until it gets busy again. Works wonders.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Looks good Oli, altho people will start getting paranoid that a new speed camera site has appeared on that bridge!

Last edited:

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
aiii UKASKEW (chris) is the daddy, read his sticky in technology chat

and get ready to get an addiction for buying lenses and accessories :D

P.S. Good location for pics fella!
Is that b3nje's old camera?

Recaro Black Gold 182
Great pics. If you don't mind me being a bit critical, it looks like the camera moved a bit during most of them so you may want to weigh the tripod down with your bag or something if you can, should improve the results no end if you can really keep it perfectly still. Also switch on the timer (3 seconds will do) so you can let it settle after hitting the shutter. Where are you based btw? Looks like a good spot, I've been keeping my eye out for a bend in a road with a bridge nearby for ages!

Best tip I ever got for this sort of thing was to take a small bit of black card along, then when there is a break in traffic you can cover the lens and wait until it gets busy again. Works wonders.

Thanks, the tripod itself is quite light and it was a little windy, plus i didn't use the timer, something to remember for next time. I'm between Swindon/Cirencester, i was on a bridge that goes over the A419, seems to work quite well, the first one is my favourite :D

Recaro Black Gold 182
Looks good Oli, did you manage to get the tripod a bit better placed than your previous pics?

Well the last set i didn't use the tripod, totally free hand, it worked this time because i didn't realise the top extended, lol :eek:

aiii UKASKEW (chris) is the daddy, read his sticky in technology chat

and get ready to get an addiction for buying lenses and accessories :D

P.S. Good location for pics fella!
Is that b3nje's old camera?

I think the bug is already starting to kick in, bout another lense for it today, lol. It is indeed bens old camera and tripod, lol, just a different lense.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Well the last set i didn't use the tripod, totally free hand, it worked this time because i didn't realise the top extended, lol :eek:

Lol, the cerney wick bridge might be quite a good place as well as it's essentially the other end of that sweeping bend, and if you're pointing in cirencester direction you can see quite far. i might have to give it a go as been meaning to for a while.

Recaro Black Gold 182

Lol, the cerney wick bridge might be quite a good place as well as it's essentially the other end of that sweeping bend, and if you're pointing in cirencester direction you can see quite far. i might have to give it a go as been meaning to for a while.

I tried that one, but it seems to be wire meshed quite high so you cant get a clear view of the carraigeway, i'm going to try the one over the M4 sometime this week, see what happens. Use a better Tripod.

There pretty cool shots, I have to admit.

Recaro Black Gold 182
Looks good Oli, altho people will start getting paranoid that a new speed camera site has appeared on that bridge!

Nice edit buddy, lol, your probably right, especially if other go up there to take some photos. lol.

I've read a little of Chris's thread in technology and i've already learnt stuff, so thats a bonus.

Nice one. I really enjoyed doing some recenly. My first time to, and I felt a right weirdo standing on a motorway bridge in the dark!

Heres one of my best efforts. Excuse photobucket cropping them s**t. Use the timer so it takes 2 seconds after you click. You'll get the best results on an unlit part of road.

STA70178.jpg

STA70168.jpg

These where on the M20 - Jct 5 looking towards Aylesford.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Oli - go to jessops - £13, remote control for it :)

ta-daa, you don't need nothing else and you can just sit back and press fire...no movement at all :D

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Totally agree with b3nje

I got myself a cheap remote for my Cannon and it makes low light images so much easier to take without the risk of blurring.

Also another tip if you have a relativly cheap Tripod is to take a couple of weights with you to hold the Tripod firm when taking these types of images, this way there is no risk of a gust of wind catching it just at the wrong time.

Recaro Black Gold 182

ta-daa, you don't need nothing else and you can just sit back and press fire...no movement at all :D

Is it this Ben??

I'm having fun with the new lense, i checked for those cables, there def not there. Mells you've put my efforts to shame, lol :eek:

306 TD Slut
yeah get a remote,

also, if you want some fancy long exposures, get down into the street at night, in the city and stick the tripod up looking at a busy junction and also where people are walking past, you can get some really good results.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm

Is it this Ben??

I'm having fun with the new lense, i checked for those cables, there def not there. Mells you've put my efforts to shame, lol :eek:

thats the one :)

i'll get them in post tomorrow for ya.

they haven't put you're effort to shame...the movement is the only thing letting it down!

everyone starts somewhere man, you only get better from practice!!

Recaro Black Gold 182

Cheers Kully :D

Is it this Ben??

thats the one :)

i'll get them in post tomorrow for ya.

they haven't put you're effort to shame...the movement is the only thing letting it down!

everyone starts somewhere man, you only get better from practice!!

Yeah, i'm going to a bridge local to me looking over the M4. Six lanes of traffic, should be good :evil: Hopefully no wobble! The local jessops dont have it in stock, so i'll have to make do with the timer for the moment.