ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nice sounding but not too loud exhaust?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all, so at the moment I've got a Long Life exhaust system on the car, which was on it when I got it, it sounds nice but its too loud and the tail pipes are horrid.
Tonight I was out and about and pulled out of a junction and next thing I got stopped for 'excessive noise' and got a £30 fine.

I'm now looiking for a new exhaust, something that sounds nice but isn't too loud, and won't get me into more trouble.

I'd also like it to be either a single tail pipe or a hidden one.

Any suggestions? Thanks. (Car is a ph2 172)

Liam.

Listerine & Poledo
OEM

Or pattern part.

Standard Clio's dont make a "nice" noise whatever you do. At cold isle they're like tractors and don't imporve much from there on in.

Last edited:
  GT 86
Hi all, so at the moment I've got a Long Life exhaust system on the car, which was on it when I got it, it sounds nice but its too loud and the tail pipes are horrid.
Tonight I was out and about and pulled out of a junction and next thing I got stopped for 'excessive noise' and got a £30 fine.

I'm now looiking for a new exhaust, something that sounds nice but isn't too loud, and won't get me into more trouble.

I'd also like it to be either a single tail pipe or a hidden one.

Any suggestions? Thanks. (Car is a ph2 172)

Liam.

Liam

how did they work out the "excessive Noise" did they have a meter (cat 1 tester ) for measuring the decibels then ??

Last edited:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
No they just told me it was excessive, i know my car is loud but i didnt even go over 4k rpm. i knew the police were there so i didnt do anything stupid but obviously they thought i did!

As this was the first time ive ever been pulled by the police in almost 2 years, i was un aware of this test.

it wasnt untill i got home that i found out they had to use the decibel tester thing.

can i argue this? and how do i know if my exhaust is illegal or not? like i say, it was on the car when i got it and it is pretty loud.

GT 86
Well I wouldn't pay it if it wasn't tested properly, how can someone tell if its above permitted levels just by ear as it were.
I had a similar problem on my Type R with a magnex 6x4 oval cat back, sounded loud but when it was tested was well below 82db. All exhausts should be between 82 and 89 db.
I would politely write a letter in to the address on the ticket where you should send the fine and point out you cant see how the fixed penalty code used can be right when no proper test was conducted.
Anyone conducting the test should be trained to ISO 5103 process which is the internationally recognised proceedure for conducting stationary noise tests on motor vehicles ;).
you need to find someone who has a meter, maybe someone who scrutinises track days to see if they will test it for you.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd like to just pay the fine and end it all, save going to court and everything else.

I will post a letter with the £30 though, like you said.

Chances are, they wont reply!

You think i should ask them to conduct a test? or will that result in a bigger fine if it is infact illegal?

Also, do they have to do the test before they can give a ticket? even if there were 2 officers?

thanks!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Maybe I was looking at the wrong site but it was for btb exhausts. Just says for the clio 172 its 550 and 30 posted I think?

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
I had a scorpion system on my 172, sounded oem when driving normal then a bit more throaty when giving it some hammer :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Found a sportex for 200. Cheap enough will me for now unless I can get a standard one for less.

Got a quote from ness motors for a standard one. 1200 encluding VAT... Yeah, 1200!!

172 Cup
BTB...see if you can get one second hand on here, but generally they do change hands for top dollar

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
only after end of Jan when I put the prices up. 30% off at the moment. We dont get much more than that for trade discount...