ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Why would you want to entend your shafts ? are you running cup racer front suspension ?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Have uploaded the first stage from the weekend , it was definitely a big power venue with those straights , check out the ending where I have total brake failure at the end of a sixth gear straight , just chucked it into a spin to slow it down and hit a wooden pole that broke the wing and smashed the screen , the bar holding the rear pads in place broke and the rear pads came out , the piston came out the caliper causing the pedal to hit the floor , to say I shat myself was an understatement !!

http://youtu.be/Ri14gAvUBjE

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I think timberland and one of the other Clio racers have had their rear pins break and a pad came out..... Looks a bit worrying.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Dont seem to be having much luck with this clio Ian, i know the feeling. As if there cursed.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I have had exactly the same happen at similar speeds. Lucky as what happens if you pump the pedal too much the piston rips out and breaks the disc and snaps the caliper bracket off and punches a whole on the wheel deflates the tyre and causes you to nearly write the car off..........

Just reciting my moment.....Great driving though, well impressed.

Did you find out the Reiger info ? spring rates and invoice ?

Cup In bits
Dont know for sure but the are the same profile as standard for the outer and inner CVs (pink car uses Jc5 box), its the material thats the main difference and gives the reliability.

Yeah the inner and outer cv's can be kept on uprated shafts, its just the intermediate bar that connects them that most up grade, or you can go for the biggest cv joints available in the manufacturers range that match the splines, usually a diesel model then get the int bar to match, I realise the material is changed which is the biggest advantage but most shafts snap at the circlip ring where its machined, if you use a radius on the inside corners then it will reduce the tendency to snap/stress that point.

Why would you want to entend your shafts ? are you running cup racer front suspension ?

Yeah im running full cup racer arrangement with a jc5, shafts need to be 15 and 20mm longer.

Scary that is Ian, im away to overhaul my rears.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Well finally got the car on the ramp today to strip it down to send the shaft back , was told by one of my mechanics on the rally that the shaft had snapped flush with the CV joint so naturally assumed it had snapped in the same place as last time on the circlip groove , well it turns out its not ! it snapped the CV joint itself , on the outer splines , so I guess I had better ring the guys who made the shafts and apologise for chewing his ear off lol. and then chew his ear off some more as the CV he sent me is not up to the job.

So i'm trying to locate some genuine Renault ones unless GKN can supply me some uprated ones , there are plenty of cheap ones flying around on ebay , even the local motor factors do them for around £20 each , but I think thats what has been sold to me and broke so quickly.

Firstly I need to find out what CV joints are fitted to the cup race cars , I bought a non running 53 plate 172 yesterday for the panels , I had the outer CV's off it and they don't fit on my shafts , my shafts are too thick , anyone know if they used the Laguna ones as well as the hubs ?

Cup In bits
Ian my 23 spline 172 cup shafts fit my hubs, I was told the sadev box and shafts were custom. I'm not sure about intermediate bar of the sadev shafts going into 172 cup outer's though.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
My car doesn't have a 2 piece shaft , they are both one piece , i'll have to measure how many splines the end of the Sadev shaft has and go from there , the Clio 172 CV joints I have fit into the Laguna hubs , but the shaft is too thick to fit into the CV joint , so I need to find out which one they used

Cup In bits
Yeah I know they are one piece mate, when I say intermediate bar I mean the connecting piece between the two on the shaft's cv's. I'm pretty sure the whole shaft is Sadev's own manufacture, the hub sides are 23 splines, inside is sadev's own to fit their diff and I'm guessing its their own bigger diameter bar as the shafts look sturdy thinks compared to Renault rubbish.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The shaft I had made the other week , the same company also supplied me an outer CV joint , this was only £35 and they had them in stock so it must be off another car not a special one off , i'll ask them tomorrow what they supplied me , but was hoping asking on here that someone already knew.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just had a look at my shafts and CV's , there are 25 splines on the end of the shaft and 23 on the CV joint

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just found out the outer CV's are indeed laguna ones , so trying to locate some new GKN ones

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Ever since i uprated my shafts i have always snapped outer CVs (end of the spline where it mates up to the Hub bearing) guess as the material used doesnt have any give (twist) the the load spikes it gererates as a result causes the problem. Not sure if there are and larger CV that could be used of a diesel etc.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If anyone is interested in my engine , loom , ecu and LCD dash , its coming out and i'm selling it all for a grand

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
It will be the loom for the engine and dash , not looking to split them at the moment , would like to sell it as a job lot , if not then i'll look at selling separate

Clio Cup Racer
People will need the XAP unit too if they are wanting to use them in a car - not spares. :)

What ecu are you moving to?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just a quick update of whats been going on with my car , Fred called down this week and delivered my engine , so will be sorting out putting it on a dyno in the next week , Fred's coming along as well so he can play about with the cam timing if needed , had the car back from the bodyshop this week and all freshly painted red again , its looking lovely now , until the next rally lol , which will be 2 weeks tomorrow as I fancy doing the Talbenny rally as it runs evening stages so will finally get a chance to use my lamp pod !
Picked up a non running 172 the other week for the panels , it also had a set of HID headlights so have got those as well so will use them in talbenny to give me a bit more light , then swap them back to the cheap Euro car parts lights for the next rallies.
So i'm leaving it as it is till then , the engine should have been dynoed by then , send the box off to be looked at , then fit the new engine ready for Pembrey on the 30th Dec , can't wait to see how it performs with another 60-70hp :D

I'm fitting a DTA ECU , was going to go for the S40 but then was told it wouldn't run all the features on the XAP X-DASH , so went for the S60 , so they arrived this week as well

9FDABDF1-EEA6-445F-99CD-D8D9C36559E3-6878-000008AC81856232.jpg

I'm dropping the car off tomorrow afternoon to the guy who did my wiring loom , he's going to make a new engine loom , wire in the dash , and wire up some electric windows , its a pain in the ass not being able to open the windows without opening the doors first as the winders catch on the roll cage , they are going to make the new loom for the engine and dash , but leave the old stuff on till talbenny , then i'll fit it all in properly when the engine and box comes out.

Had delivery end of last week of some GKN CV joints , so hopefully they will last better than the last un-named ones

3986987E-1C13-4543-BF01-F183410DEDE7-6878-000008ADA5A0CE74.jpg

Haven't had any issues in the last year with the GKN ones , the un-named one lasted about 10 miles !

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Went down to the workshop to drop it off at the electricians so took a couple of photo's of it looking fresh , pictures make it look a bit orangey , but its a nice bright red

B8B42B7B-F3D8-4071-93A4-F979DEEE7524-7170-000008EFDE4C9870.jpg

8A379B53-88F4-4750-A404-B1AE05ABF5BB-7170-000008EFD9D89B16.jpg

1632BB22-3623-4C58-B22B-A11136AA6C27-7170-000008EFD17AA86F.jpg

If I could figure out a way to fit the engine and box out of my M3 it would certainly shift then lol :D

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
That's quite a combination of cars you have there! The M3 looks very purposeful with those wheels on it:)

Clio looks to have come out well too. Bet you cannot wait to get the new motor in it.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Well the rally has been cancelled this weekend through lack of entries so have stripped the car now , engine and box is out as of last night , so box is going back to SWR for them to sort the gear change issue out , so the Clio cup race car engine , engine loom , Magnetti Marrelli ecu and digital dash is available now , looking for a grand for all this , and would suit someone building a track day car.

Also selling the race car exhaust for it , selling the exhaust manifold , race cat and orbisoud system for £450 , I'm fitting a 182 manifold to the new engine so having a new twin box system made for it , the noise limits seem to be getting tighter now so just getting ready when they drop them again !

Hopefully should have the engine dynoed in the next week , box should be back by then and can put it all together and have it live mapped to make sure I am getting the best out of it when its all fitted

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Found a problem with the Jenvey inlet manifold which I'm sorting out as the engine is off to the dyno on wednesday , they have started machining a groove on the face that mates up to the head which you fit an 'O' ring into , the problem I have is my ports are too big and the manifold needs opening out to the groove , so I'm having to weld up the grooves , I'll machine the ports to match the head , and skim the face of the manifold to give me a flat surface again.

I asked Jenvey for a flat manifold but was told i'd have to pay extra for it , and would have to wait a couple of months until they made another batch !

57783E4E-E481-47EA-B3DA-7E35352109CC-197-00000011372BD7E4.jpg

What a pain in the ass !

I read up about the Cnc head the other day and sounds very impressive. I look forward to seeing what yours makes! I would really struggle with my AT ITB's I guess. Hope you get sorted Ian :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Could you not have just put a gasket on it?

Yes that is what I am doing now , but the port in the manifold is smaller than the posrt in the head , i'm welding the groove up , machining it flat and porting the manifold to suit my ported head , and fitting a gasket on

I read up about the Cnc head the other day and sounds very impressive. I look forward to seeing what yours makes! I would really struggle with my AT ITB's I guess. Hope you get sorted Ian :)

Looks all straight forward , just a ball ache ! Will find out in 2 weeks , dropping off the engine wednesday , they have to make engine mounts to fit it onto there dyno , and will tune it early next week , Fred wanted to come to the mapping session in case the cams needed a tweek , so will give him a shout in the week , i'll go down the morning they fire it up , they will need to run it for a while to run it in , then tune the sh1t out of it lol , if all goes to plan i'll bring it back with me , fit it back into the car , then take the car back to them to fine tune on the rolling road and on the road.

I'd like 240hp , Fred reckons 230 lol