ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie needs a hand!

Renault Clio 16V
Hi all! I've had my Clio a little over a year (2005 16V) and only just got around to replacing the front fog bulbs that I originally thought were blown. Upon closer inspection, the bulbs are fine, and it seems to be an electrical issue. Any ideas?

The front fog light icon doesn't light up when they're switched on, I've checked the fuse, can't find the relay box to check that, taken apart the steering wheel to check the wiring on the indicator stalk. I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Have you tried turning the headlights on and then turning the fogs on?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Has it definitely got them wired in ? As in, does the stalk have both front and rear.. apologies if a very stupid question. Someone might have fitted them just for looks ...

I think the unit pops out the front so undo the bolts and have a look to see what's what.. You might be able to see it from the back if no arch liner ?

Have you checked the fuse ?!

Pointless things 99.9% of the time so I wouldn't really worry !

Renault Clio 16V
No idea, there are three wires that come out of the indicator stalk, green, lilac and white. I think I read somewhere that the white wire is the foglights? I'll admit electronics aren't my strong point. The fog light bulbs come out easily, they're H11 and are on a cable of sorts and I can just remove them from their fitting by reaching under the bumper, I haven't been able to get underneath properly though as I don't own a jack.

I've checked the fuses in the passenger side, they all seem sound, including the one for the front fog lights. My other hunch was the relay but I can't find the blasted thing to check it.

Yeah, I didn't even realise they were non-functional until I got caught in thick fog up in the mountains a few months back, I'll only need them for the drive between uni and home and even then only when that mountain range is foggy. It's just nice to have them, really.

Also while we're here, how do I add a profile picture? Or is that a member only perk?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Both fogs connect to a cable that then connects to the car loom near the passenger headlight, is that connected?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Also while we're here, how do I add a profile picture? Or is that a member only perk?
Click your name at the top of screen, then there should be 'Edit' on the pic box.. if not, then it's a member only perk..

Well worth the cash for the discounts, for sale stuff and general info usefulness !

Renault Clio 16V
Not sure, there's plastic casing of some sort in the way and it's far too wet to be laying in puddles ten minutes before I need to leave for work. Is there a way around that or will I have to wait for the weather to dry out somewhat? I can't even get to the fog light that side; it was the driver's side one I changed initially before realising the fault wasn't with the bulbs

Renault Clio 16V
Click your name at the top of screen, then there should be 'Edit' on the pic box.. if not, then it's a member only perk..

Well worth the cash for the discounts, for sale stuff and general info usefulness !

Looks like a member only perk, ah well, I was looking at becoming a member anyway once my maintenance loan comes in. Will be very useful to keep my poor car running! The poor thing's going in to have its exhaust and clutch looked at this week, and I'm waiting on a new exhaust clamp to arrive too.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like a member only perk, ah well, I was looking at becoming a member anyway once my maintenance loan comes in. Will be very useful to keep my poor car running! The poor thing's going in to have its exhaust and clutch looked at this week, and I'm waiting on a new exhaust clamp to arrive too.
Then your fog lights are the least of your concerns haha :LOL: