ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie from the dark side

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Hi all, well ive just got back from picking up my Phase 1 172 in Diablo Red. Been a Jap lover for quite some time having 2 Civic Type R's and an integra TypeR (DC5) but have now joined the Renault fold. Got to say had a big old grin on my face comming home. Where else can you get so many smiles for such few £££, alreadt loving my ownership :cool:

Hi all, well ive just got back from picking up my Phase 1 172 in Diablo Red. Been a Jap lover for quite some time having 2 Civic Type R's and an integra TypeR (DC5) but have now joined the Renault fold. Got to say had a big old grin on my face comming home. Where else can you get so many smiles for such few £££, alreadt loving my ownership :cool:

Welcome mate!

How does the Clio compare to your Jap beasts? I nearly went the CTR route a few years ago but swayed torwards the Clio.

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Well ive litterally driven it home so its a bit unfair to judge it yet. First impressions though is its a really fun little car. The Honda's are much more solid and better put together than the Renault but thats what i expected. As for power they are fairly evenly matched.

What i do know is that its about a kazillion times better than the Mk Golf GTi 1.8T i sold yesterday. Happy days.

Lol. having a rattlely, poorly built car is what Renault ownership is all about :rasp:.

Joking aside though, putting a smile on your face is one of the RS Clio's fortes.

None
Hi there, welcome to CS :)

One thing i have to say though is that RS clio's are much more eye catching than civic type R's.....on account of the fact that my neighbour has the new shape civic type r and his step son has the old shape.........neither do anything for me in the looks department i'm afraid, even before i was a clio owner.

Integra's on the other hand are something else :)

182 (Conversion)
I came from Jap cars....and am going back as soon as I can afford to.

"Once you go Jap, you don't go back"

Don't expect reliability, build quality or cheap available parts from these.

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Here it is, its an absolute minter :cool:
2624039200044632340S600x600Q85.jpg

Black 182 FF
Good stuff and that does look clean. I nearly went the Jap route after giving up on a mk2 GTi 16v, but looks wise the CTR did nothing for me. Got to say the Clio I've got is by far the funniest little car I've driven, not as fast as the mapped Gti 20VT my mate had which I also thought about, but a bucket load more fun to drive.

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Shes a tidy one alright would look well with black wheels lol.

Whats the mileage like on it ?

You know what, thats exactly what i thought on my way to go and view it :cool:

Oh and its done 63k miles

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Good stuff and that does look clean. I nearly went the Jap route after giving up on a mk2 GTi 16v, but looks wise the CTR did nothing for me. Got to say the Clio I've got is by far the funniest little car I've driven, not as fast as the mapped Gti 20VT my mate had which I also thought about, but a bucket load more fun to drive.

I do like the Civic Type-R shape, thing is i now cant afford another. Been using my cars wealth as cash creators to fund little projects at home. In the last 3 years ive gone from;

Seat Leon Cupra R (05)
Civic Type-R (04)
Smart Roadster (05) (This car had he best handling ever!)
Mk4 Golf GTi 1.8T (Y)
and now the Clio.

Black 182 FF
I dont mind the CTR's shape, I prefer the new one, but the older one looks 'ok' to me - whereas the Clio from the front to me has a bit more presence and 182's from the back too - side profile I'm not so sure on.

Clio 1970000000
I am another ricer who kissed a frog. Used to have a 2004 CTR in Cosmic Grey, now I have a 2006 Clio 197 in Nimbus Grey.

Build quality is not as good as the Honda (but still much better than I expected) but the handling more than makes up for it.

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Nice one, got to say im really impressed with the Clio. Smiles per pound it just cant be beaten. Honda are very well built and go very well. Renault are rattly and a bit flimsy but are cracking fun none the less :)