ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie from South Yorkshire

2002 Clio 172
Hi there!

My name is Dave and I picked up my new (to me) car at the weekend.

It is a Clio 172, and unfortunately the first impressions are not good. I test drove the car and all was fine, however on my way home I realised all was not well. The car was pulling really badly to one side under braking and then again under acceleration. A nasty clunk noise followed this! I phoned the seller from a motorway service station where a mate who had travelled with me contacted a friend who also has a 172. The seller didn't answer the phone, nor did he respond to my text so there was little I could do. I was tempted to go back to his house, but I realised I had bought 'as seen' and wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I limped the car home and experimented with the way it was behaving. I realised it had to be linked to a sticking brake due to the way it reacted under braking. There is however another problem accompanying it which I suspect to be the top strut mounts but could be wrong?

Having looked behind the wheels I spotted the sticking caliper is on the drivers side. I am not comfortable messing with brakes so I left it there and booked it in with my mate to look at today. In the meantime I gave the car a really good clean up inside and out with my mates help to make me feel a bit better.

It has actually come up pretty good with a few scuffs and marks I was aware of and happy to sort. The drive to the garage today was fine once I almost managed to completely avoid using the brakes.

I hope the problem isn't too severe, the gear gaitor also came off so I will need to sort that. I'm looking forward to getting the car back, sticking some decent rubber on it and enjoying a drive! I'm staying positive at the moment as I know these are great cars, I just hope I haven't bought a lemon!

clio 172
Hi there!

My name is Dave and I picked up my new (to me) car at the weekend.

It is a Clio 172, and unfortunately the first impressions are not good. I test drove the car and all was fine, however on my way home I realised all was not well. The car was pulling really badly to one side under braking and then again under acceleration. A nasty clunk noise followed this! I phoned the seller from a motorway service station where a mate who had travelled with me contacted a friend who also has a 172. The seller didn't answer the phone, nor did he respond to my text so there was little I could do. I was tempted to go back to his house, but I realised I had bought 'as seen' and wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I limped the car home and experimented with the way it was behaving. I realised it had to be linked to a sticking brake due to the way it reacted under braking. There is however another problem accompanying it which I suspect to be the top strut mounts but could be wrong?

Having looked behind the wheels I spotted the sticking caliper is on the drivers side. I am not comfortable messing with brakes so I left it there and booked it in with my mate to look at today. In the meantime I gave the car a really good clean up inside and out with my mates help to make me feel a bit better.

It has actually come up pretty good with a few scuffs and marks I was aware of and happy to sort. The drive to the garage today was fine once I almost managed to completely avoid using the brakes.

I hope the problem isn't too severe, the gear gaitor also came off so I will need to sort that. I'm looking forward to getting the car back, sticking some decent rubber on it and enjoying a drive! I'm staying positive at the moment as I know these are great cars, I just hope I haven't bought a lemon!
9 times out of 10 people sell there car cos there is a problem that they carnt be bothered fixing i got mine a month ago and within 12hours the engine light come on grrr...was just the throttle sender so new pedal and now all good not missed a beat so far :D

2002 Clio 172
Cheers lads! i'll keep an eye out for your cars! I will try and make that meet, I work a lot of hours so depends on that!

The problems have been fixed and the car has been transformed! Gave her a good tonking on the way back from the garage and it's great fun! Overtaking is nice compared to my company diesel thing! Got a new gaitor from work, ordered a new fog light and will start restoring the wheels next month. Already fallen for it, just hope it doesn't rape my wallet!