ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie 172 cambelt service eek

Clio 172
Hi just bought a 172 as a run around and over the moon with it, so much fun for such little money.
ok, driving it is brilliant but I've had the whole experience a little tempered......

I had an s3 audi a few years back and fancied another. went to have a look at a couple and what dogs!
so having been tempted by a 172 I went to view one and found a roof full of filler! I don't like finding filler but in the roof.....!?
so quickly moved on from that one.
then another popped up locally. 70k on the clock, metallic red.
went over to view it and the owner had bought it on 65k with full history and lost the history in the space of 6 mths. How frustrating?
now I'm not normally one for taking a risk on a car but decided it was cheap money, relatively low miles, there was evidence of there formerly being a history and my mechanic brother in law could give it a whopping service based on the difference in price to others and I'd still be well in pocket.
cha Ching, money exchanged, car bought.
decision 1, get cambelt done, whilst there do aux belt, whilst doing that, lets do the water pump too.
so, got it booked in.
now as most of you will agree, with these little motors, they're like a guilty pleasure, you constantly find excuses to drive them. So went over to some friends with wife and son on board. Son not feeling too clever in the stomach......
bear in mind I could have taken a 4 door car with windows that work and full leather......
half way round large roundabout.....
"please pull over, I feel blaaaaargh"
the smell hit us immediately and on pulling over and getting the little fella out the back I was delighted to find a rear seat and carpet (mats were on order) full of lasagne and milk on its second appearance. Did I mention the top of my seat and head restraint posts.....?
you get the picture, this was rough.
right, get home quick, mop it up and fingers crossed.
over the course of the next 2 days and trying various things to rid the smell of vomit, I also became a reader of 'net mums'. Not something I'd ever foreseen but I tell you what, those guys know a thing or too about the smell of sick. If you need to remove it ever from your lovely leather and alcantara, or any other interior, a sprinkle of bicarbonate of soda, quickly followed by white wine vinegar does the trick. I'll be honest, the smell of vinegar is stil with us but thank goodness, the smell of sick is gone.
you can see, this hasn't gone well so far.
so now it's gone to have its big service. My brother in law now hates me and to add insult to the whole process, it's not running properly either. Everything's been changed but there's a mystery bolt (about 120mm long?) And it's still in bits.
im about to set off this morning to become a mechanics mate, and to try to bridge family relations.....
hopefully I'll be returning a smiley 172 driver this afternoon. Failing that, you'll find me buried near a workshop on a farm and there will be another 172 breaking for parts on eBay.
have a brilliant Sunday!

wow that was a read. The 120mm long bolt, with a 13mm head? dounds like the one from inside the alternator bracket, from the front goes through the inlet manifold, next to the fuel rail.

Clio 172
Thanks very much, we were scratching our heads....
we've got 2 tools for doing the cambelt but Ive seen mentions of 3 tools (pulley locking tool) do we need that too? Intend changing dephaser too so trying to work out what's necessary.
thanks