ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Track Rods Ends, Fit New Tie Rods too?

Smart Car, MX-5, 197
Hi All,

Ever since I got my cup packed 182 a few weeks ago the steering has been a bit odd and the car moves around a lot under breaking, the front discs looked like they'd seen better days so last weekend I changed these for new Pagid ones (pads too) from ECP. Whilst doing this I noticed the near side track rod end was well shot and the other side wasn't in the first flush of youth either so I've bought a pair of new Lemforder ones (ECP again) to fit, but I'm wondering if its worth doing the inner tie rods as well or am I better off leaving these alone? From what I could tell the slop in the steering was coming from the track rod end, but are the tie rods likely to wear out at the same rate as the ends?

I understand a special tool is usually needed to do the tie rods so if they do need changing I'll get a garage to do it, if its just the ends I can have a crack at it myself.

Regarding the track rod ends from what I read these are the same between Cup packed and none Cup packed, it's the tie rods that are different?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think its only 172 cups that have the different tie rods, Ive swapped cup pack hubs to non cup packed hubs and the difference in steering arm location was pretty minimal.

Undo the track rod end from the steering arm on the hub and just see if there is any play in the inner rod joint to decide if they need doing or not.

The symptoms you have sound a lot like steering rack bushes to me.

Smart Car, MX-5, 197
Thanks Chip, are the steering rack bushes just the ones that hold the rack to the bulkhead or or they bushings inside the rack itself?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Chip, are the steering rack bushes just the ones that hold the rack to the bulkhead or or they bushings inside the rack itself?

Yes rack to the car ones I mean.

They are a bit more awkward to change than they first look, just cause of so many things being in the way of where you want to swing a spanner etc.

Many.
First line or genuine track rods IMO. If you can get hold of a 32(?) mm viscous fan spanner, I'd have a go yourself. I've changed many with no issues. Get the tracking done straight away, as you won't get it close enough.

Ive generally changed inners anyway, makes the job much easier than messing about with rusty rods!

330i. E30 Touring.
Squirming/looseness under breaking can also be rear shocks having seen better days also.