ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Telly Thoughts...50" £1200-£1500 budget

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Thought i might let someone with real knowledge help me out. Thoughts?

It would be ussed for regular tv viewing and lots of hd gaming and hd content.

Ideally want optical out on the telly, but not essential.

Am i right in thinking pioneer plasma way?

BMW 125i
the only thing i find with plasma and gaming is over a period of time you might get 'burning' this is where the image from a game for example is burned on to the screen when the console is switched off and is still visible when your watching your regular tv for a period of time. Not too sure if it is common with the newer plasmas but my mates suffered from it. So generally i think LCD is better for gaming and Plasma for movies, but thats just personal opinion and experience.

Mini JCW
the only thing i find with plasma and gaming is over a period of time you might get 'burning' this is where the image from a game for example is burned on to the screen when the console is switched off and is still visible when your watching your regular tv for a period of time. Not too sure if it is common with the newer plasmas but my mates suffered from it. So generally i think LCD is better for gaming and Plasma for movies, but thats just personal opinion and experience.

Utter tosh - Screen Burn and Image retention are two different things.

Screen Burn is when an image is burnt onto the screen permanently causing damage and can't be removed, with modern plasmas this has all but been eliminated.

Image retention is when fixed images on the screen remain for a short while after changing to a different channel (things such as channel logos, HUDs on games etc) - it will dissapear after 10 minutes of watching a moving image.

If you could up your budget I would go for a Pioneer Kuro (9G), unmatched black levels and motion handling capabilites - Panasonic Plasmas are good, but fit a particular budgets and are a definite level below the Kuros.

If you are to consider LCDs I would only go for LED backlight not CCFL backlit screens, which offer a better contrast ration (not a scratch on the Kuros though), but be prepared for motion smearing and color bleed as well as less natural, vivid images.

Read reveiws, and sign up to www.avforums.com, plenty of experts and users on there who will be able to advise further.

HTH

Anthony

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
46" version is around £1500, so at a guess if they even do a 50" it will probably be around £2000

Panasonic gets my vote (I bought one recently from Panasonic direct, £1100 with a 5 year warranty)

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
I've looking for a TV for a while now and its a minefield really. No TV is perfect and there are soooooo many factors. My mate has a Kuro 50" and yes they are suppose to be the best and yes it looks the part. But for £1800/£1900 im not so sure .... unless that type of money is no issue then fine. My other mate has a new 46" Tosh LCD and that is very very good too but that was £900. There is NO WAY the Kuro is twice as good as the Tosh IMO. When both are playing HD content both are stunning. Also, is you are spending Kuro money ideally you want to get is calibrated which is another £250 or so to get the very best from it so then your into £2100 ish.

avforums actually makes it a harder decision lol! but there is great info on there.

One bit of advice would be to find the TV you want on somewhere like Richer Sounds or Sound and Vision that is in stock and get John Lewis to price match it so you get the 5 year warranty. Save yourself a small packet doing that.

I think I'm going to go with the new Sammy LE40B650 ...
http://www.johnlewis.com/230586897/Product.aspx

Richer Sounds are doing these for £790 but not been in stock for a few weeks now.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
my recent purchase:

50" Panny with Blu-Ray

TV003.gif

TV008.gif

I love my panny 42800B. The IFC (Interrigent Frame Creation) makes HD material look insanely smooth. Even almost static images look incredibly real. It's not so good with SD material though, and I wish I'd gone for 46".

50" has to be the Kuro 5090. They can be had for ~£1800 now.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
£1900 seems to be about the best price from richer sounds at the mo. Says stock due this week? My mate had to wait 2 months for his on a waiting list!