ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Suspension advise - 172 Cup

White 172 ITB's
Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered already but I’ve spent hours searching and can't find the answer I’m looking for.

I'm currently running Koni Suspension (not sure what springs as they were on the car when I brought it). The car sits about 40-50mm lower than standard but the ride is really poor and seems to bounce around every time it hit a bump or is really crashy when I hit a small pot hole even when set to softest setting.

I want a setup that is almost the same as stand as I use the car daily but want the option to make harder when required or for the odd track day.

Now I know KW are the dog b*****ks but they don't lower enough at the back, ideally I would want to drop it 60-70 mm at the back. Can this be changed or do I need to look at different kits?

I've heard reports that FK are a bit too stiff for everyday, can the spring rating be changed or do you have to purchase the standard then upgrade?

I'm not looking to spend anymore than a £1000

Thanks in advance for any advise.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Seems like you're after the impossible. If you're going that low, the ride quality will suffer. Bar the height, KW fulfill all the other needs.

White 172 ITB's
Seems like you're after the impossible. If you're going that low, the ride quality will suffer. Bar the height, KW fulfill all the other needs.

Do you know how low KW will go?

Some sites say max -20 mm at the back and some say 50mm?

cheers

tiTTy & SV650
have you adjusted the damping on the konis? looks like you have as you mention softest setting

Are the springs red or yellow?

Are you sure the shocks aren't burst? You can get the konis serviced or can replace them individually.

White 172 ITB's
have you adjusted the damping on the konis? looks like you have as you mention softest setting

Are the springs red or yellow?

Are you sure the shocks aren't burst? You can get the konis serviced or can replace them individually.

Hi,

The springs are Red. They look very corroded but no signs of them leaking, I'll double check this weekend.

Just spoke to Sean at K-tec and he says the KW will sit 40mm lower on the back (not 25 as advertised) and if i'm not happy he will exchange the springs for shorter Gas ones.

cheers

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fred can supply the kw v2. He was cheaper than anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RenaultSport 172
LOL @ India..

I shall be purchasing some KW V2's after christmas and will have my H&R's for sale shortly after if you'd be interested in them?
the H&R's lower about 50mm on the rear.

White 172 ITB's
Someone told me that KW use Koni Dampers, is that correct? if so wouldn't the ride be the same that i have at the moment?

Does anyone near Bath have KW v2's fitted? i wouldn't mind having a ride to see how they handle?:D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Someone told me that KW use Koni Dampers, is that correct? if so wouldn't the ride be the same that i have at the moment?

Does anyone near Bath have KW v2's fitted? i wouldn't mind having a ride to see how they handle?:D
Revalved rear koni units.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What does that mean?

Does that mean it will ride/handle the same as Koni or do KW do something different?
Yeah, they ride/handle differently. The damping and springs are different. Basically the shell is koni, the internals are kw spec.