ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New style private plate - worth it

Hi people

Wonder if anyone can help me spend or not spend my money!

Id kind of decided to get a private plate for my car and got the money together for it. Now that I actually have the money sitting here, Im starting to wonder whether its really worthwhile or not.

The plate in question is £799 from the DVLA and basically spells my name but obviously with numbers intervening (in the new style of XX00XXX). Everyone Ive asked to look at it has immediately spotted what it says, so I dont think its a case of it being a crap plate in the slightest. With a little creative spacing to have the last 3 letters almost straight after the numbers, it would look even better.

Its just........are these new style private plates really worth £800. If it was £250 like the old ones, Id do it without hesitation, but this one is almost a grand!!

I suppose Im just thinking..........what else could I get instead or should I still get it. I do still really like the idea of the plate but Im just not sure now.

Any ideas most welcome.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Depends on what else you might do with the £800 really. £800 will buy you a nice set of wheels, NOS kit, 4 or 5 trackdays, Magnex exhaust etc etc etc.

Theres no way to work out the value of the plate - its just a question of what youd rather do with the dosh really. If you like it then get it - it might be gone next week!

I think its worth it. An investment TBH. As long as it is a good plate then you wont be throwing any money away. It will hold its value and never be worth less than you paid for it!

Also i feel Private Plates are the nicest mod you can do to a car. Just makes it look more mint. Go for it!

I prefer the old style plates.....they actually look like perosnalised plates
To most peeps new style plates would look just like every other new plate
Its not your name if its got numbers in between it :\

My private plate cost £500 (an old stlye plate, paid more for te single number) X8 RST, my initials

You are buyig it from the dvla directly arent you ?
Other places tend to add another £200 on top for some bizare reason...all they do is buy it from the dvla then sell it to you at an inflated price !!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

A guy near me has an S Type Jag with the reg. JA51UAR which doesnt look too bad.

320d M Sport

to be honest i looked at the newer style plates before i got mine anddidnt think they looked as good? And for £800!! :eek:

Your not allowed to change letter spacing or font anymore are you?, I saw a black focus the other day, he had a black number plate with silver writing on a black car, looked good.

GR7

Shiny red R32

There are plenty of illegally spaced plates near me but nobody seems to bother. In an accident, bank robbery or whatever, these numbers would be remembered easier by onlookers than ordinarily spaced plates.