ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New round these parts.....

21 Turbo
Just got back from a weekend hooning around the Lake District in my M3. There were 5 of us, 3 21 Turbos a ph2 172 and myself.
Ive been toying with selling the M3 for sometime and was hugely impressed with the 172. This one was stripped bare is used lots for trackdays, my M3 is a complete car and as such I had this pesky little Clio climbing all over my arse and through the bends (of which there were many) he was gone, I just couldnt get near him.
So Ive decided to replace the M3 with a 172 and as a result Ive become inquisitive and need your assistance.

Phase 1 or Phase 2? My budget wont stretch to a Cup. What do I look out for? I'm used to Renaults quirks having been in 21's for 9 years, however the 21 is completely DIY-able.

All Ive found out thus far is 'change the belts and tensioners immediately'

Thanks in advance
Lee

21 Turbo
Ok.........how to welcome the new guy lol

Can anyone point me to the 'Buyers Guide' that I was told was well worth the £10 membership fee, please?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Welcome to the site mate, there's a lot more available than just a buyers guide.

The amount of money you can save on purchasing parts etc and the amount of people willing to help is unreal, hopefully everyone will help you find what you're looking for.

I'll just have a quick search for the buyers guide, and report back :)

Here you go mate::

172/182 buyers guide

Ph1 172 buyers guide

Last edited:
  21 Turbo
Thanks Rob, they are a great help. I'm also reading about diff circlips, throttle body issues and immobiliser de-coding itself issues.
Anyone clarify?

T5PHY - not a track ***** mate, I want Black or Silver and fancy an on-road go kart. Never really driven anything little before, always had bigger cars. It will be used for work and trips to Lake District etc
I'm currently putting a 21 together as a fast road/track ****. The M3 has had enough of my wallet now, whoever takes that away wont need to spend any money for a good 4-5 years. Its had £6k in 18 months lol

A ANIMAL
I'd pop for a minty ph1 if you can find one. Cable throttle pwns the drive by wire and i prefer the look of the Ph1's. get a set of decent coillys if you need to but they're pretty good pout the box IMO.

With regards to problems. Usual checks will be suffice, they are not known for anything too serious (other than being a little french ;) )

I'd be looking at something like this: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1943357.htm

HTH

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
This one was stripped bare is used lots for trackdays, my M3 is a complete car and as such I had this pesky little Clio climbing all over my arse and through the bends (of which there were many) he was gone, I just couldnt get near him.

Oi.....nothin pesky about my Clio & you know it!!!! I wont mention the fact that you couldnt get past me until 140 either on the straight.....oh too late....sorry!!! ;o)

P.S. Welcome to CS LOL!!!

21 Turbo
Ok Lee it took me massively by surprise, however it was like a wasp, just kept buzzing round me, pi$$ing off for a bit and coming back again. Excellent hooning weekend tho eh?

T5PHY, that is a help, what isnt a help is whoever I ask about doing 'the belt job' - I get told to 'do one' but in a more aggressive manner. I've got several mates who are capable mechs and none of them will touch it. £600 labour for a timing belt??? The 21 is £60 inc the belts lol

Unless me old mate Lee fancies doing it, I wont be buying a car that requires £600 for a belt to be fitted. I'll go get an Ibiza 130 Sport have a remap and see 180bhp and 300lbft and 40mpg lol

A ANIMAL
Ok Lee it took me massively by surprise, however it was like a wasp, just kept buzzing round me, pi$$ing off for a bit and coming back again. Excellent hooning weekend tho eh?

T5PHY, that is a help, what isnt a help is whoever I ask about doing 'the belt job' - I get told to 'do one' but in a more aggressive manner. I've got several mates who are capable mechs and none of them will touch it. £600 labour for a timing belt??? The 21 is £60 inc the belts lol

Unless me old mate Lee fancies doing it, I wont be buying a car that requires £600 for a belt to be fitted. I'll go get an Ibiza 130 Sport have a remap and see 180bhp and 300lbft and 40mpg lol

Yeah the timing belt is not the best! you're looking generally between 5- 600. (its 6-8 hrs labour!!) BUT IMO if you want car that will do what the clio does for the low price that it does it at then its worth the extra few hundred quid every 5 yrs. lol . Trust me a tractor engine wont cut it if you're looking for a good blast.

As always have a drive in both and see what you think - if you can use the cam belt as a barganing tool on the price then you may well get a good deal!

Hyundai i40
Hello and welcome to CS

Whats your budget?

you should be able to pick up a car that already had its belts dont tbh, unless your going for a 10 yr old ph1 or a 182 likeyhood alot of the ph2 172s will have there belts already done

Have a look on AT as they seem to be the cheapest. or you may pick up a cheap one in the for sale on here then you can look at the history of the car

Good luck with your search mate

21 Turbo
Thanks Sarah, my budget largely depends on what the M3 sells for, if I get £4k for it, then my Clio budget will be £3k and the rest can go towards my kitchen. Ive got a real hankering for a phase 1 in the dark blue or silver. However a black ph2 is my ultimate goal.

No rush