ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Owner - Is this a problem or totally normal?

172 Flamer
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a lovely Renault Clio 172 on an 02 plate. It drives pretty nicely and I am generally very happy with it. However, it does have a bit of an issue when starting from cold. For the first few minutes of driving, there is some resistance with the engine. When I try to accelerate, its pulling back or is resisting. I'm not accelerating hard and taking it slow and easy whilst the engine warms up but its noticable at low revs. It's a bit like when cars had manual chokes and you have left it out for to long and the power is being resisted. After a few minutes of driving it goes away and accelerates and pulls normally.

Is this normal or do I have a problem?

b/g 182, meg tourer
welcome.
sounds normal to be honest. a lot of the cars on here do it.
have a search on here for more answers, quite a few threads on it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Both of wine have been god awful when cold, go after 2-3mins though.

clio 182
I've been told of someone before that its due to the engine recirculating the exhaust fumes in order to heat the engine up quicker.

Don't know how true it is but it makes sense to me.

Octavia VRS
i get this. it sorta stops accelerating. nowt to worry about, its probably about to fall apart.

172DD Cup
I've been told of someone before that its due to the engine recirculating the exhaust fumes in order to heat the engine up quicker.

Don't know how true it is but it makes sense to me.

'Tis true, I normally read about them failing in Vauxhalls, which funnily enough they share parts with Saab! The engine recirculates the exhaust gases to keep the engine cooler and the emissions down, and as you say it warms the engine up quicker. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Mine does it too, must be common among the clio's. I always thought it was the oil being cold, also read somewhere about a cold map that switches on the ECU.

May be worth changing your stat, if it's faulty and is stuck open or opening too soon it will prolong your rough running.

Clio RS 182
Mine does it also, its horrible to drive and then suddenly it just turns normal, cant be doing the car much good tbh.

The best thing to do if you're not in a rush is let the car run till the revs drop to 1k, usually takes 2mins, then set off.

172 Cup
'Tis true, I normally read about them failing in Vauxhalls, which funnily enough they share parts with Saab! The engine recirculates the exhaust gases to keep the engine cooler and the emissions down, and as you say it warms the engine up quicker. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

Clio sports dont use EGR valves but in responce to the OP, it is normal, mine takes a good 4-5 mins to clear sometimes.

Vw caddy tdi
My ph1 did this thought maybe imports had a slightly diffrent map, getting a remap will smooth it out. Or possible your brakes are binding prob the former.

2004 182FF
My 2004 182 does this, lumpy idle (feels like its on the edge of stalling, but never does) and sometimes you can put your foot to the floor and it wont pass 1400rpm. After 30 seconds its fine and drives normally

Clio 182
same here. i find it quite fun at times because when changed to second i can accelerate so far and then let of the pedal and then tap it slightly which makes it pop like an absolute b**ch.

172DD Cup
My 2004 182 does this, lumpy idle (feels like its on the edge of stalling, but never does) and sometimes you can put your foot to the floor and it wont pass 1400rpm. After 30 seconds its fine and drives normally

this sounds more severe than mine. i can rev to 3000rpm (dont wish go any higher at that temperature) and it doesnt feel like its about to stall.

someone mentioned its the lambda before the cat, i wonder if unplugging that lambda would make a difference?

172 Cup
this sounds more severe than mine. i can rev to 3000rpm (dont wish go any higher at that temperature) and it doesnt feel like its about to stall.

someone mentioned its the lambda before the cat, i wonder if unplugging that lambda would make a difference?

it would be far worse defaulting the ecu to standard setting

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
My ph2 172 runs lumpy to start with. If it's warmer than 15 degrees outside then it hardly does it, but when its say 10 degrees it's really hesitant and often leads to wheelspinning when pulling out of junctions when the power does decide to come back. I tend to let the engine rev slightly higher than normal pottering before changing up when it's cold just so that it warms up a little quicker.

172 Flamer
Just to say that I had the lambada sensor changed and it made no difference. What I did notice is with the engine running but not driving, I can slowly start to press the accelerator and the revs are really strugling to stay up, wanting to drop down all the time. It gets to the point where I can press the throttle about half way and the revs are dropping down to 1000rpm. After about 5 mins of running, it clears itself.

So if its not the lambada sensor, what else could it be? Might try changing the thermostat as suggested. Its just a real pain as you have to sit in the car for 5 mins whilst it warms up as you have no revs or power if you try and drive.

RS6 C7
Mine does it to, its only a 1.6 but does exactly the same thing, its dangerous really though, i can pull out of a junction and it just has no power and almost stalls!, 2 mins on and its perfect :)

172 Flamer
Its totally crazy. There must be a reason why it does it, it can't be right. Thanks for the replies guys.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Is this not the regulation of the acoustic valve upon starting?
I was under the impression that the valve letting [some] air into the engine remains closed at cold engine temps, then opens when the engine is warm?

Either way, I had poor starting on my 172 when I had it, not the end of the world, but a couple of minutes of hesitancy and burbling.